Monday, March 24, 2008

Chocolat Chaud

Hot chocolate. Hadn't tasted it in years. It always seemed like a kid's drink. On a whim on a chilly day in Paris, I ordered it and, wow, this stuff is not just for kids!

Rich and robust, warming and comforting at the same time, it made the gray Paris skies seem brighter. It was so strong that poured like syrup and was served with sugar packets snuggled alongside the cup. I didn't need them but I could see how others might - this stuff was as intense as coffee, not for wimps - the espresso of the chocolate world.

Many of the flavors we encountered were like this - stronger, more pronounced than the same food would be at home, each distinct and hearty. No wonder French food is rated so highly, when something as mundane as hot chocolate is taken seriously and raised to ambrosial standards!


8 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I am drooling over my keyboard after reading your latest posts. In a way, you can see why there isn't the same degree of obesity in France as there is here - the food is more intense so you can be satisfied with less.

Well, that's my theory but I'm not sure about the coffee ice cream and whipped cream combo. I think I'd order seconds and risk the waiter's displeasure at the greedy American.

Sunday, March 23, 2008  
Blogger Deetsa said...

Ahh... this is so true. Chocolat chaud is a good kick in the pants first thing in the morning. And I love that I can actually get away with drinking it first thing in the morning and nobody even bats an eyelash. I know a number of North Americans who would consider me self-indulgent or a glutton for such liberties with my breakfast. Hurrah for the French and their hot chocolate.

Sunday, March 23, 2008  
Blogger michael, claudia and sierra said...

what a great blog - and that chocolate sounds heavenly right now.... how nice for you to be there...

Monday, March 24, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

NamasteNancy, I ordered it more than once, but only once on a single day! As you say, with such rich flavors, not as much is needed to feel satisfied. That said, however, it was still about a zillion calories!

Nerissa, we who have had French hot chocolate know just how self-indulgent you are! :-)

Cook Eat Fret, thanks for the compliment! It was a lovely trip!

Monday, March 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hot chocolate is most *definietly* not just for kids. when i was living in cambridge, mass there was this cafe (burdicks, i think) that had completely insane chocolat chaud that was like ganache in a cup.

6 oz milk + 1 oz. good chocolate shavings + pinch of cayenne, heated on the stove = heavenly

Monday, March 24, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Michelle, thanks for the recipe - I'll try it this weekend. Happen to have all the ingredients in the house right now!

Monday, March 24, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Isn't it wonderful?
The chocolate in Spain is great, too - a bit darker, which I love...but it doesn't have the 'Paris' ambience

Wednesday, April 02, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, wow, hard to imagine darker hot chocolate than the Parisian variety! That must have been stunning!

Sunday, April 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home