Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Gooey Rice

To go with our grilled pork medallions, I wanted to use some Massa brown rice, but I was looking for a little extra flavor since the rest of the meal was fairly bland. I sauteed some chopped onion in about a tablespoon of bacon fat, until it was nicely brownish, then added the rice, cooking it in the onion-bacon mixture for a few minutes before adding chicken broth and simmering, covered, for about 50 minutes.

When I put the medallions on the grill, I started the beans and added brightly green scallions to the rice pot, stirring them in and letting them cook gently for the 5-10 minutes or so it took to grill the pork and steam the beans.

I'd describe the rice as bacon-onion risotto except that I've never made a risotto in my life. The smoky bacon flavor pervaded the dish and the rich onion flavor complemented the nutty rice. The texture was creamy/gooey, as if I had added stock and stirred every few minutes when, in fact, all I did was put on the lid, set the timer and go bug My Beloved for a while.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Moonbear said...

Bugging the beloved is a fine thing to do whilst dinner finishes. Say-- your bag of **** is still waiting for you! Still want it? When you call, ask for Michelle. Oops- I'm OUT.

Monday, April 28, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

More proof that bacon makes everything better.

Monday, April 28, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

It's a good thing that you live across the bay or I'd be inviting myself to dinner all the time.

Maybe a trade - dinner for a shaman dance by an Irish/English/Welsh/Lebanese
and points further east person? Sort of authentic but with California flourishes? Does it count that I used to be a Wiccan?

Monday, April 28, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Moonbear, indeed I do want your chicken poop - I'll call you this morning to arrange the transfer! Thank you!

Dagny, as if that wasn't already a well-established fact! :-)

NamasteNancy, BART comes all the way to our doorstep so you could do your shaman dance in person!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Jeepers, Zoomie, I'd for sure call it a risotto before I called it "gooey rice"!
Sounds great.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I think of risotto as a fancypants dish that needs pampering. This was dead easy!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home