Sunday, April 27, 2008

They're In There!

Taking a leaf, literally and figuratively, from Michael Pollan's latest essay in the New York Times, I decided that I have time now that I'm retired to plant a small garden. My steep hillside lot doesn't lend itself to much in the way of agriculture but I cleared a space in the flower garden, worked up the soil and planted near the drip watering pipe greenie beanies, lettuce, Swiss chard and zucchini. I wanted a cherry tomato plant or two as well, but when I read the seed packet it said I should have started them indoors six weeks ago so I may just rely on the farmers' markets for those.

I keep running outside to check if my seedlings are up. I'm like a little kid on a long car trip - "Are we there yet?"

I guess they need more than two days to sprout.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Aw, jeez, girlfriend!
Whooo!
I am beyond happy for you.
Tip: You can buy a cherry tomato seedling, already started, at the hardware store or farmers market; it wants to go in the ground NOW. (Actually, you have a couple of weeks...)
Get a sack of chicken manure from the garden store and stir some of it into the dirt. Plant your new baby. Wait two months.
Tomatoes!!
There is no greater joy.

Sunday, April 27, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Cookie has beaten me to it, I always buy seedlings, I'm way too impatient to wait for seeds to grow! And chook poo, stinky gold!
Sun ripened, warmed tomatoes, so good we actually had a policital party named after them!

Monday, April 28, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, Moonbear has offered me some chicken poop - I'll get it from her this week, I hope.

DMM, which party? I love that idea!

Monday, April 28, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Maybe they need a shaman dance? You know, something ritual and pagan to encourage them to grow? Manure - pshaw! How ....realistic!

Monday, April 28, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I'm liking this idea of a ritual or a dance of encouragement! It appeals to my Druid side. I did say a little blessing as I patted the earth down over them, but that's not quite the same thing...

Monday, April 28, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, t’was a joke party back in the olden days when I lived in my Nation’s capital.

Monday, April 28, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

DMM, that's a party I could join and enjoy! In fact, any of those - Surprise Party, Party!Party!Party! but especially the Sun-Ripened Warm Tomato Party.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home