Friday, January 13, 2012

Recycling

I'm a firm believer in recycling. Not just at the curb, but also in the kitchen.

When we made pizza the other day using ground lamb as a topping, we ended up with some lamb left over, just enough for a good lunch for the two of us.

So, we recycled it into small patties, quickly sautéed in a pan and laid on top of a nest of the garlicky Swiss chard and tangy goat cheese we had also used on the pizza. Even the buns were recycled, two I froze when I made Chilebrown's recipe for whole wheat hamburger buns. We toasted them on the grill and put them to work.

It was as good, and maybe even a little better, than the original pizza. Lamb loves garlic and garlic loves Swiss chard and Swiss chard loves goat cheese and goat cheese loves whole wheat. It was a love fest all around and we were glad to be invited to the orgy.

9 Comments:

Blogger troutbirder said...

On my. That all sounds so good. I love lamb but it's hard to find in our small town grocery store... :)

Friday, January 13, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Troutbirder, keep asking - I find that butchers respond to requests they hear more than once. And Baron would love the leftovers... ;-)

Friday, January 13, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh my, also! I like it (almost) better than the pizza, though I'm in love with the blistery crust you achieved. I've never even thought about cooked greens on a burger. I bet that was wonderful.

Friday, January 13, 2012  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Yum, and a perfect flavour mix.

Friday, January 13, 2012  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I'm on the long slow haul to making a lamb pie today :)

Friday, January 13, 2012  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I do admit to freezing home made bread. I am impressed how far you take leftovers. You are the 'Leftover Queen'.

Friday, January 13, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, scrumptious, just scrumptious.

Ms Mouse, hope you will talk about your lamb pie - that sounds wonderful!

Chilebrown, I plan to have that engraved on my tombstone. :-)

Saturday, January 14, 2012  
Blogger Greg said...

Great photo! Yum Zone.

Sunday, January 15, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, thanks. I don't take much time with my photos so if they turn out well, it's happenstance.

Monday, January 16, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home