Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Big Pot Of Soup

Usually, when we finish a roasted chicken, I use the bones to make broth and freeze it for future meals. This time, I just kept going, all the way to soup.

I like soup at any time of the year but it's particularly welcome during the holidays when I'm inclined to eat too much of all the wrong things. Homemade soup grounds me and reminds me that eating healthy foods can taste really good, too. Once made, it's easy and quick to reheat, no waiting around while Christmas cookies are calling to me. It's a nice, lean meal in a season of excess.

The broth started with onions, carrots and celery bubbled for hours with the chicken carcass, so it was already flavorful and aromatic when I added cannellini beans, a handful of dried mushrooms, chopped leek, carrot, zucchini, (sad winter) tomato and fennel. A pretty serious handful of Herbes de Provence. The chicken meat from picking the bones and chopped dry salami. Cooked until the veggies were tender but still toothy. I don't use anything to thicken the broth - we like it clear and fresh.

When I ladled it into bowls, I added a sprinkle of green onion and served it, steaming, to My Beloved who just sat and inhaled the aromas before starting to eat. It's a hearty soup, rib sticking even though it's not high in calories. With a piece of toast or nice bread alongside, it's the perfect winter meal.

And it makes a lot. So, you have a big pot of soup on the stove to reheat as needed over several days. You can share some with a friend if you get tired of it but, really, what's not to like?

9 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Soup is good food. I could live on soup (and I have a fun post coming up about one, er, "pot"? soup making.)
Nice looking nourishment, Zoomie.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

That sounds great and delicious. I hope you do not do your reboiling thing.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, looking forward to it already!

Chilebrown, you know me better than that.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

The season of soup.I have my sights on a minestrone in January.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, you're right - it's just the right season for a nice minestrone. Maybe I'll make that next.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

This sounds perfect to me right about now, when we're reeling from overly rich foods and too much of them. I'll have to get a pot on the stove soon and make my own...

Wednesday, December 28, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hungry Dog, there's nothing better at this time of year, but I'm glad you had some fun indulging during the holidays, too.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011  
Anonymous Alexander said...

So simple and so perfect!

Thursday, December 29, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Alexander, for shame! Spamming is not nice.

Thursday, December 29, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home