Friday, December 9, 2011

Thanksgiving

This year, Thanksgiving fell on a Tuesday.

We had spent the traditional Thanksgiving day on the Big Island, then flew to Oahu to my brother's house. That Tuesday, we all gathered around their big teak dining table and enjoyed a real family Thanksgiving, complete with ham and squash, stuffing, green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy.

Cousin Jan was with us (she's in the bright blue shirt) and, of course, Litheia, who has been our friend for more than 40 years, plus my brother and his family, me and My Beloved.

I learned many years ago from my pal Wendy that Thanksgiving doesn't necessarily happen on the fourth Thursday of November - it happens whenever your people get together and celebrate the good things in life. Good health, good food, good spirits, good friends. It doesn't matter if the china matches or if you get out the good silverware. All that matters is that you join hands around the table and thank whatever deity you choose for all the pleasures of the year.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Your family of the blood and family of the heart, celebrating rituals around food, probably one of the oldest rituals in the world. This makes another lovely post for your book in progress.

Friday, December 09, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

What a perfect Rockwell-esque portrait of a lovely family holiday.
And, my favorite: Front and center, that bottle. Urp.
(Jann is pretty!)

Friday, December 09, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, thanks for the compliment. You are always so kind.

Cookiecrumb, yes, I loved the bottle of salad dressing, too, Keeps us from being too snooty. :-) And I agree about Jan, but she would pooh-pooh us.

Friday, December 09, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I also like the mini pumpkin with the fern leaf from the garden. Funny juxtaposition.

Friday, December 09, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I like that too. Anything natural!

Friday, December 09, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home