Monday, November 28, 2011

Saving The Day

When I purchased those few shrimp, I was thinking of an appetizer. When they became, through a comedy of errors, dinner - I needed to find a way to stretch them a bit. We are hearty eaters.

Remembering how our lobster carbonara had combined pancetta (cured meat) with the lobster (seafood), I thought perhaps I could add a little Italian sausage, which I had in the fridge, to this recipe to make it go a bit farther.

Luisa turned me on to this recipe a couple of years ago, and I keep coming back to it - it's relatively easy and quick, and unfailingly delicious.

I sliced the pre-cooked Italian sausage and tossed them with the seasonings before roasting. I find it surprising that meats and seafood go together - I've never been a big fan of "surf and turf" meals. This one, however, despite my roasting it a bit too long while waiting for My Beloved and Cora to get back from a walk, was quite, quite delicious.

The shrimp and sausage loved each other and the broccoli and lemon juice lightened an otherwise rich meal. Another time, I wouldn't start the broccoli ahead of the shrimp and sausage, I'd just roast them all together for about 10 minutes; I'd like the broccoli to be greener. But overall, it was a big success and it saved the day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

It works for me. One big yummy plate.

Monday, November 28, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Cranky always calls surf 'n' turf "urf 'n' urf," because that's about as enticing as it sounds.

Monday, November 28, 2011  
Anonymous Janie said...

Think jambalaya. That usually has shrimp and sausage or ham and chicken with rice and Cajun spices. Yum!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, a good description of that dish.

Cookiecrumb, occasionally, I have enjoyed the combo, but not often.

Janie, now I can't get that song out of my mind. Son of a gun, gonna have big fun on the bayou...

Tuesday, November 29, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home