Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bacon Lovers

I take a fair amount of good-natured ribbing from a certain meat-loving food blogger about my insistence on organic, local, seasonal, pastured or free-range food choices. He thinks I'm a little silly, and he's probably right. Still, in most things, I remain adamant; he says I'm stubborn. I prefer the word steadfast.

One thing we do agree on, however, is bacon. We both love it.

I have always said that Nueske's Bacon is my gold standard. It has the perfect balance of smoke, sweet, texture and salt to please me. Unfortunately, it isn't made locally, so it has to be ordered from afar and that's not exactly local, is it?

So, I'm always on the lookout for good bacon from closer than Wisconsin. I love Coleman's hot dogs, so when I happened upon a package of their bacon at my local market, I decided to give it a try. It's from Colorado - still not local - but closer than WI, right?

We cooked up the bacon for our long, leisurely Sunday breakfast with eggs, wheatberry toast with Meyer lemon marmalade and coffee. The rashers are thinner than the local artisan bacons we mostly buy, but they are thicker than many national brands. They cooked up perfectly - crisp for me and slightly droopy for My Beloved. The flavors of pig, salt and sweet were there but, sadly, no smoke. It's hard to complain about bacon - I mean, what's not to like? - but I have to say that Nueske's still wins for that smoky profile that signals bacon perfection.

The search for perfect local bacon continues. I'm happy to shoulder the task, with help from my blogging pal. Stay tuned.

13 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

There are plenty of local bacon makers for you to try. There is Star Grocery, The Pasta Shop, Cafe Rouge just to name a few. We just bought some Veal bacon from Marin Farms. Steadfast indeed!

Tuesday, November 15, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Or, make your own. It's stunningly easy, and super gratifying.

We just bought a package of Tater Tots.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Ah, the search for bacon perfection - such a difficult task but I know that you are up to it.

Cookie bought tater tots? Now I know that the apocalypse is just around the corner.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011  
Blogger Toons said...

It's hard to beat a "tot" deep fried till "Golden Brown And Delicious" when paired with ranch fresh eggs and some smokey sweet bacon. I like TOTS! There I said it.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, thanks for the tips. Will explore.

Cookiecrumb, for some reason, that hasn't tempted me. Too lazy, I suppose.

Nancy, I think she's going to make this:

http://www.madmeatgenius.com/2011/11/bacon-wrapped-tator-tots.html

James, believe me, you are not alone! A guilty pleasure for me and lots of others. :-)

Tuesday, November 15, 2011  
Anonymous Evil Empress said...

Olivier's Butchery in SF. Of course, right in your own backyard you can find both Marin Sun Farms lovely bacon and Hobbs - evidently Thomas Keller's favorite. BTW - Did I mention that we recently enjoyed three platters of the bacon sampler at Press in St. Helena? hee hee hee hee

Tuesday, November 15, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evil Empress, THREE? Seriously, THREE? You're my kinda gal!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

Bacon!!!woot!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, oh, yeah, baby, and we have some left over, too, so the feast isn't yet over!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011  
Anonymous Evil Empress said...

I forgot to mention Llano Seco from Chico. Their thick-cut bacon is perfect for a nice, hearty BLT! http://www.llanoseco.com/

Wednesday, November 16, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evil Empress, they sell Llano Seco pork at Andronico's, too, but I've never seen the bacon. Will go in search!

Thursday, November 17, 2011  
Blogger Kinda Like a Chef said...

I've been getting bacon from this farm through my CSA. It is sooooooo good!!

http://llanoseco.com/pages/product-list

Thursday, November 17, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kinda, thanks for the link! I will explore.

Thursday, November 17, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home