Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Dem Bones

Arriving home from snowy New England to find 75 degree temperatures and blue skies, the grass fed beef ribs in Andronico's (by the way, good news! They have new investors, so they are open and fully stocked again) were simply too much to resist. Indian Summer's warmth and barbecuing opportunities are not to be squandered.

These were the back ribs - we also grilled a couple of short ribs. I roasted them all in a 300 degree oven for a couple of hours to render most of the fat, tenderize the meat and shorten the barbecuing time, then put them over gray coals with a light coating of Aloha brand teriyaki glaze. I am sentimental about this brand - it takes me back to my years in Hawaii.

Just a few minutes on the grill imparted that smoky flavor that makes ribs, well, ribs. We used our fingers and gnawed the sweet, mildly spicy meat off dem bones in true caveman style. With a side of garlicky Swiss chard, they made a deeply satisfying late summer meal. We even have leftovers for lunch today.

It's always fun to go visiting but it's also wonderful to come home, especially when there is grilling weather left before the rains begin.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

Very Interesting.How did your short ribs turn out?

There is a barbeque competition at the Antioch Fairgrounds this Saturday.Ms. Goofy and I will be there judging.There will be a special division for amateur competitors called the backyard cookers.You could enter these ribs that are grass fed and see how they stack up against the rest.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

These do look fantastic. Wish I had some for lunch today too. Wait, don't you live somewhere around here? I'll be right over...

Wednesday, November 09, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

I need some beef bones!

Wednesday, November 09, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I'm with Hungry Dog. - you are SOOOOO lucky I don't have a car. I'm afraid that my ethics about dropping in unannounced would be severely tested by this.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, I'm not the competitive type, but I am curious to see one of these competitions, one of these days.

Hungry Dog, yes, quite close, really. But, they are all gone. ;-(

Greg, there's something very elemental and fun about gnawing on bones. Get some and growl!

Nancy, I know you too well to be worried. But we should arrange some kind of a get together soon. It's been too long. BTW, I'm still loving the red high heels.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Looks like a Flintstones' picnic!
I'm partial to Aloha too, for the same reason. I haven't tried the teriyaki sauce, but we regularly go through bottles of the low-budge shoyu.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I buy pineapples, too,for the same reason. They surely aren't local but every now and then they are essential.

Thursday, November 10, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home