Sunday, October 23, 2011

Cover Crop

If you haven't been out the Fairfax in Marin county recently, you might want to go. I had lunch there recently with a friend of mine who lives in west Marin, and we enjoyed a lovely afternoon of poking through the shops and catching up.

You must certainly pop your head in to the Fairfax Variety store. I discovered it a few years ago and whenever I'm feeling down in the mouth, I go there to be cheered by the most amazing jumble of wonderful things. It's like an old-time five-and-dime store, only slightly updated. They carry everything from cooking utensils to greeting cards to Hallowe'en costumes but the kids' aisle is the best part. If you need bubble stuff or a fridge crawler or silly, gruesome finger puppets, you can find them all there - and much, much more.

Outside the Italian restaurant on the main street was a shady tree. In most towns, you'd see a metal grating around the base of the tree, or maybe just bare earth. In Fairfax, they have a unique cover crop - hundreds of wine corks.

If you haven't been out there, you might want to go. These seem like fun folks, don't you think?

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

We love Fairfax. Kind of a seventies flashback ;). I will be stealing the cork mulch idea.

Sunday, October 23, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I like Greg's thinking: mulch. I just saw it as decorative, but he's right.
And to think that Fairfax is just a skateboard ride from my house, but I never get over there.

Sunday, October 23, 2011  
Blogger kudzu said...

Ha! It's five minutes from my house and somehow I am always going in the other direction. But it's a real experience, a sort of lead-in to West Marin which gets wilder and woolier as you head toward the coast....Next time you're there try 123 Bolinas, a really nice wine bar that proves that not all of Fairfax is looking backward.

Sunday, October 23, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, yes, it's a little retro, but that's part of the charm.

Cookie crumb, it's easy to get into a rut when you live centrally to all the services you need.

Kudzu, thanks for the tip. Maybe you, me, Greg andCookiecrumb could meet there next time.

Monday, October 24, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home