Saturday, October 29, 2011

Firm Buns

Okay, I admit it. I used that title in the hope that it will draw in more readers. They may be a little disappointed when they learn that this blog is not usually oriented toward buffed body parts, but when they read about Chilebrown's hamburger buns, I'm convinced they will return again and again.

I have long been an admirer of Chilebrown's baking; he makes all kinds of breads and rolls, some in a Dutch oven and others in a regular oven, but they always look and sound wonderful. He also makes it sound easy.

And it was. My Beloved bemoans storebought hamburger buns, declaring them to be made of sawdust and air. I was planning hamburgers for dinner so, on the spur of the moment, decided to try making buns from scratch.I used his recipe for buns made with 1/3 whole wheat and 2/3 white flour.

These buns use ingredients you will likely have on hand - they are not at all complicated. They take a little time as they rise twice but the recipe is simple. I started them in the late morning and they were more than ready by supper time.

They have a sweetly nutty flavor and a beefier texture than the packaged buns, but they are airy enough that they soak up the hamburger juices like a tasty sponge. We toasted ours lightly on the grill to bring out even more of the nutty flavor and enjoyed them greatly. At last, buns as firm as My Beloved's.


10 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

Bravo Zoomie! I am proud of you. Next time try using a little malt syrup. That is my new baking secret.

Saturday, October 29, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Firm buns - how clever! I throw in words like nude and nakked on my Examiner.com site to draw more traffic but you know - "firm buns" has a nice ring to it.

Saturday, October 29, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Very nice! Do you think they'd make good hot dog buns too? I'm guessing, of course.

Saturday, October 29, 2011  
Blogger Toons said...

Does anyone have a good recipe for sourdough buns?

Saturday, October 29, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

I wish my firm buns would return :(
They sure do look tasty.

Saturday, October 29, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chile down, you da man.

Nancy, if this works, I may resort to titilation more often.

Cookie crumb, I'm sure they would. Just a change in shape and voila!

James, not I but hopefully some else will weigh in with the recipe you need.

Greg, that's why I swim and walk the dog, but progress is slow.

Saturday, October 29, 2011  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

A bun recipe! I can't get hamburger buns - now we can have proper burgers during our Indian Summer LOL

Sunday, October 30, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Katies, I think Chilebrown has more than one recipe for buns if you want to search his site. He's a good baker.

Sunday, October 30, 2011  
Anonymous Evil Empress said...

Okay. I give up. I can't find his recipe for hamburger buns on his blog. I'm clearly incompetent.

Thursday, November 03, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evil Empress, here's a link. I'll email it to you, too, in case you don't see it here:

http://www.madmeatgenius.com/2008/07/hamburger-buns.html

Friday, November 04, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home