Monday, October 31, 2011

Nothing Spooky

When I made Chilebrown's hamburger buns, they were baked by eleven in the morning, cooling on a rack on the counter. They looked perfect and smelled even better. I had made them for our hamburger dinner but they were sending out olfactory invitations that I simply couldn't resist.

Luckily, the recipe made eight buns, plenty for dinner, the freezer, and a summer sandwich, too.

Is there anything better in the world than a ripe tomato sandwich? If there is, you'd have to convince me. And, if you can make it with a freshly-baked soft roll - well, now you're approaching nirvana.

Go ahead. Make the rolls and slice the tomatoes thickly. Slather on a little mayo and don't forget the salt and pepper. It's even better if you have a lemon to squeeze over the tomatoes, but even without that embellishment, it's going to be one of the best sandwiches you will ever eat. At least, until next summer.

Nothing spooky, here. Happy Hallowe'en!

6 Comments:

Blogger Hungry Dog said...

Sounds fantastic. I agree, a good tomato on good bread can't be beat.

I just took a bread baking class yesterday...slowly getting over my fear of yeast.

Monday, October 31, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Probably the last one of the year, sob! Beautiful. I gotta get my baking on. (Brava, Hungry Dog!)

Monday, October 31, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hungry Dog, you rock! Looking forward to reading about what you make.

Cookie crumb, I'm hoping I get home in time for one more before the tomatoes are over.

Monday, October 31, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Yum, I want one now but we've still only got little yellow flowers on the tomato bushes :)

Monday, October 31, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

Ripe tomato sandwich is the best!

Tuesday, November 01, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, ah, the tantalizing little yellow flowers...

Graf, in my view it's a toss up between tomato and cucumber. Both are my delight.

Tuesday, November 01, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home