Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tickled Pink

"Tickled pink" is an expression I associate with my Dad. When he heard good news, he declared himself to be tickled pink. If a favorite person was coming to visit, again, he'd be tickled pink. Or perhaps it was a particularly welcome Christmas present - he'd look me in the eye and say, "Honey, thank you! I'm tickled pink!" and, indeed, he was a little flushed with pleasure.

I don't associate beets with my father at all. I'm pretty sure he didn't like beets, as we rarely had them growing up. If he had an aversion to a particular food but Mom liked it, she would save it to serve to us when he was out at sea. She spoiled him, and he loved it. I learned a lot about the care and feeding of husbands from her.

I've always rather liked beets. I like them sweet or pickled and the color always amazes me - talk about your vegetable dyes! If I'm not careful, I get indelible hot pink stains down the front of my clothes. I'm sure beet juice would make a knockout ink.

I had some nice, round dark purple beets that I had roasted in foil, so decided to try making a sort of scallop with potatoes and onions and, for that slightly pickled taste, plain yogurt. I sliced them all thinly (except the yogurt, of course) and layered potatoes, then onions, then beets, then a slather of yogurt into a shallow dish. When I was finished layering, it didn't seem quite moist enough, so I dotted some butter on the top and sneaked a little half-and-half down the side to bubble in the oven. The cream immediately turned bright pink.

I baked the dish for about two hours (scalloped things take a surprisingly long time) at about 350 degrees F. The top was browned a dark chocolate color but the layers inside were brightly pink. It looked kinda cool on the plate. The taste was slightly sour along with creamy, but I have to admit it wasn't the kind of dish that makes you pound the table and nod with delight. It's a quieter pleasure than that.

All in all, it was good, but I wasn't tickled pink.


5 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Well, I think it looks great. Maybe some Moroccan spices?

Saturday, November 19, 2011  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Or you could have made borscht?

Saturday, November 19, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, interesting thought. It was good, just not stellar.

Nancy, it tasted a lot like borscht, before you puree it.

Saturday, November 19, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

Pink it is! Have you ever had a Pink's hotdog in LA? Yum.

Sunday, November 20, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, no, but I will next time I'm down there, now that I know about them. Thanks for the tip - I heart hot dogs.

Sunday, November 20, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home