Wednesday, November 30, 2011

New Best Friend

Sometimes when I'm reading comments on a friend's blog, I come across submissions so clever or interesting that they prompt me to visit the commenter's blog to see if I want to add them to my reading list. I have to admit, it doesn't often result in a new blog to add - I don't suffer badly written blogs gladly.

Recently, however, I added a new one. The Hungry Dog. Not only does she feature food that sounds good, she writes in a clear, humorous, warm style that I enjoy. And she likes dogs. I think I like this lady.

In her Thanksgiving post she featured a link to a cauliflower gratin that she was planning to share with friends on Turkey Day. It sounded so good that I rushed right down to my neighborhood store to pick up the ingredients. Thanksgiving, phooey! I wanted it now!

Talk about your total, instant gratification!

It was as rich as mac and cheese - and, by the way, the recipe reads just about the same - but lighter because the cauliflower isn't as heavy as macaroni. And the addition of horseradish to the cracker crumb topping is inspired, lifting the dish from predictable to delectable.

I changed the recipe just a bit, using cream-style horseradish instead of the fiery kind and sprinkling the gratin with finely chopped fresh rosemary for additional flavor. I liked both of my tweaks and would do them again.

We are facing a long winter with lots of cauliflower in it. My new best friend has me actually looking forward to it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hungry Dog said...

Aw! Thanks for the shout-out, Zoom! I love your blog too and one of these days you, me, and cookiecrumb will have to get together in person! And am SO pleased you liked the gratin. It's a winner for sure. xoxo

Wednesday, November 30, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

How sweet is this? I feel like the matchmaker who brought you together.
I'm liking that gratin, too. In theory, as yet.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

Gosh I used to hate cauliflower!But now dishes like this make it taste wonderful.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hungry Dog, I just calls 'em like I sees 'em. Thanks for the fun of reading your blog.

Cookiecrumb, We'll have to start calling you Cupid.

Greg, your mother would thank us for getting you to finish your cauliflower.

Thursday, December 01, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

• He he! Regarding the comment in your first paragraph - you won't suffer mine.  ;·)

"lifting the dish from predictable to delectable."
I might use that.

Friday, December 09, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home