Friday, December 23, 2011

Unlikely Cocktailian

As you probably know, I'm not a big drinker. My father, who art in heaven, used to chide me for having only one gin and tonic with him on the lanai while we had our spirited political discussions. He used to warn me, with a twinkle, "Pam, you are not protecting yourself from the Forces of Evil." Somewhat ironic as he is the same man who also cautioned me in my youth about drinking too much at parties. Parents can be so contrary!

What he perhaps didn't realize is that one drink is plenty to give me that warm-to-the-toes buzz that makes alcohol such a pleasure - and two drinks - well, you just don't want to go there with me.

But, when the opportunity presents itself, I'm not averse to a libation. Such an event happened this week when my Fairy Godson drove up from LA for a pre-Christmas visit and I happened to fill his stocking with a bunch of goofy things, including a box of green apple Fizzies. If you are of my generation, you probably remember Fizzies, the Pop Rocks of the Baby Boomer generation, except that we dissolved them in water and drank them like Kool-Aid.

My Fairy Godson leaped from the soft drink to the idea of a cocktail in no time - he's of the Millennial generation - and suggested Fizzie-tinis. We couldn't imagine green apple and gin would be any good, however, so we decided on vodka "martinis" and the mixology began.

I don't have a cocktail shaker, having ceded my father's sterling silver one to my younger brother, but I had a good-sized stainless steel water bottle, so we opted for that. Added vodka and ice and shook it briefly before pouring it into wine glasses that we had rinsed with vermouth (sadly, my cupboards don't run to martini glasses) and dropping the Fizzies tablets into the chilled vodka. They fizzed quietly, slowly turning the clear drink an improbable green, before the last bit floated to the top, signally the end of the fizzing phase.

Sip. It tasted like cough syrup, 'way too sweet and truly nasty.

So, we decided to add lime juice, and that improved it quite a bit but it wasn't until My Beloved suggested adding a splash of water that it really came together. I like my drinks really cold, so I added rocks and a little paper umbrella and happily slurped that puppy right down.

Making dinner afterwards was a challenge. Luckily, I had opted for a simple dinner of raclette, salumi and a salad, or I might have embarrassed myself.

Parenthetically, I have been having trouble sleeping lately. That night, I slept like a baby.



6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Wow! I did not know that Fizzies still existed. The bubbles make the alcohol go into your bloodstream faster. Cheers!

Friday, December 23, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Probably could have got away with using just a half of a Fizzie. Nice try! I'll pass. :)

Friday, December 23, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Cheers! I'll have a Frangelico & lime :)
Merry Merry & Happy do da :D

Friday, December 23, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, yes, you can buy them at Powell's sweet shop in Novato. Sadly, green apple has been discontinued.

Cookiecrumb, I have to admit, I don't think I'll be making them again any time soon. ;-)

Ms Mouse, thank you - and the same to you and Mr Brown.

Friday, December 23, 2011  
Blogger Kitt said...

Inspired mixology! A drink or two is plenty for a pleasant evening, I find.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Sunday, December 25, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kitt, thanks for the holiday wishes and right back at ya! ;-)

Monday, December 26, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home