Saturday, December 10, 2011

Variations On A Theme

Now that I know how easy it is to make pot pie, it seems I'm making one nearly every time I roast a chicken, or have leftover lamb. Sometimes, I top the lamb ones with mashed potatoes, magically transforming them into shepherd's pie, but mostly I just use the Star Dough that I have learned to love and rely on.

Usually there's enough chicken left for two pies, one for us and one for my neighbor, who is having a very busy time right now. If I'm not in the mood for pot pie right after having had the chicken, I freeze it for later - they freeze beautifully.

This variation included sautéed crimini mushrooms and triangles of Star Dough instead of a full crust - otherwise, I made it just like this one. They are all variations on a theme, but the theme is so delicious, My Beloved who generally loves variety doesn't seem to mind.

In fact, his first bite of the one with mushrooms made him close his eyes, all the more to savor the flavors. That's always a good sign around here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

This post makes me hungry!

Saturday, December 10, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

One of my favorite meals.
Speaking of freezing for later, we have made the pies in individual ramekins, and later you can pull just the amount you want to heat and eat. Plus, small dishes are so twee.

Saturday, December 10, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, pot pie is easy - you can make one in a New York minute - and it stretches your chicken dinner dollar, too.

Cookiecrumb, Janine's dish is just right for two, so I usually use that. But I agree about the absolute tweeness of small dishes.

Saturday, December 10, 2011  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Yes, You are the leftover Queen. This actualy looks yummy!

Saturday, December 10, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, do I get a crown?

Sunday, December 11, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home