Thursday, December 10, 2009

Swiss Taters

Cruising through the supermarket aisles the other day, I happened upon a nice brick of cheese from the Swiss/French mountains and was reminded of the dish that bears its name.

Raclette; the very idea starts my mouth watering. This time, it was little more than a slightly tangy, earthy cheese melted under the broiler over some boiled red potatoes and sprinkled with a little bacon but what a lovely late fall meal it made!

I added dark green Swiss chard that I had sautéed in some of the bacon drippings with a minced garlic clove or two - just seemed like the right combination since the origins match - and sprinkled the raclette with a little Italian parsley for color and a bright taste. Added some very puckery cornichons and pickled onions to the plate and, man, does that ever liven up the tongue! Alternating bites of pickle with bites of unctuous cheesy spuds is a screaming, arms-in-the-air roller-coaster ride for the taste buds.

If you were struggling home after a tough day at work or from driving the kids to all their soccer, ballet and playdate activities, this would put delicious dinner on the table in less than half an hour. Even if you're retired like me with lots of time to spare, you could spend it reading a trashy novel or visiting with friends and still have a lovely meal in a flash. Raclette - keep it in mind.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

What store did you find the cheese at? I had raclette once at the farmers market and it was wonderful.

Thursday, December 10, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

I've seen it in Andronico's and at the Paradise Market in Corte Madera. I expect next time you are over at the Ferry Building, too, you'd see it there.

Thursday, December 10, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I think I bought mine at the Ferry Building or the cheese store on 24th Street. I didn't pair it with greens (too healthy) but slivered it on potatoes. I think your recipe sounds even better - Raclette, it's what's for dinner.

Thursday, December 10, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh gaw! I had raclette for lunch yesterday, the first of the season. We were responding to a similar atmospheric buzz, eh?
(For some reason, Cranky had thrown a chile pepper into the jar of cocktail onions... THAT will get your tongue screaming.)

Thursday, December 10, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, the broiler does wonders but don't put it in too close to the element as it burns fast.

Cookiecrumb, holy cats, the mind boggles. The combination of intense sour and nuclear heat - your tongue must have been throbbing for hours afterward.

Thursday, December 10, 2009  
Anonymous hotTamale said...

What a wonderful way to eat Raclette! My mouth is seriously watering...

Hey Greg, did you know you can have Raclette cheese delivered to your door? Amazon has ALL-- here's a link.

http://astore.amazon.com/thefiftdimein-20

or here:
http://www.amazon.com/For-The-Gourmet-Raclette-Cheese/dp/B0029XPST4

Friday, December 11, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Bacon drippings, do you save it in a special little pot at the back of the fridge (my mum used to) or is it something you can buy in these, modern, times?

Friday, December 11, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

I LOVE raclette! And your version looks awesome!

Sunday, December 13, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

hotTamale, thanks for the tips. My raclette isn't really traditional but I'm enjoying all the different editions.

Morgan, I'm like your Mom. Got a little crock of the goodies in the fridge.

Anna, it's my new fave, too.

Sunday, December 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home