Monday, November 30, 2009

Party Time

Now that Thanksgiving is behind us (and wasn't it just the best? I love Thanksgiving!), the holiday parties will be in full swing. I'm pretty sure I'll eat too much, drink more than I do the whole rest of the year combined, and fetch up in January feeling both happy and fat. I never seem to learn moderation at the holidays.

Here's one reason why. Medjool dates spritzed with fromage blanc and topped with an almond. I first tasted these when My Beloved and I last went to the Marin farmer's market. The Date Lady (I'm sorry, I don't remember her name) was giving these out as a sample of why one should purchase her dates. Her sales technique worked - we immediately hunted up a bag of raw almonds and some Bellwether Farms fromage blanc to go with the fat package of dates we bought from her.

I decided to take these to our pal Sari's cheese tasting party. I cut the dates in half, spooned the cheese into a cookie press
with a decorative tip (you could use a pastry bag just as easily) and squeezed out a little pfffft of cheese at one end of each date half, then placed an almond in the other end. The dates are slightly sticky, so it all stays neatly in place.

Sweet date and tangy cheese flood the tongue with conflicting flavors, leaving behind the crunch of the nut for texture and yet another mellow flavor. I intended these to be a dessert but they were mostly gone before dessert was even dreamed of. It was party time, and moderation is something best practiced in January.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Tamil Home Recipes said...

Good post.

Tuesday, December 01, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Fantastic! It's so beautiful, so easy and so natural. That's just what I like in a "dessert."
Next time you're at the Marin market, go to Massa organics (the rice people). They sell bags of roasted almonds, very nicely done, for that brown flavor.

Tuesday, December 01, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I've made this dish as well -- and ate all of it. So much for my dish for a pot luck party. Every bite was utterly delicious but then, what's not to like with those ingredients?

Tuesday, December 01, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Tamil, wow, India! What fun to receive a comment from so far away!

Cookiecrumb, roasted almonds would be an interesting switch.

Nancy, I managed to keep the plate intact until I got to the party - then gobbled up two in a row!

Wednesday, December 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home