Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Beefy

This is the third and last installment of the potential disaster my neighbor Theresa averted by giving away her defrosted hoard of freezer meats. The beef ribs were browned and went into my crock pot along with some chunked onions and carrots and a cup or so of both beef broth and red wine with which I deglazed the browning pan.

They simmered and bubbled together for several hours, until the bones gave up their essence and fell out. This was a fairly fatty cut of meat so I refrigerated it while we ate the other two dishes, removed the congealed fat that had risen to the top and, a few days later, set it back into the base to cook for another couple of hours, adding chunks of red potato to the final cooking.

Spooned onto the plate next to some bright green broccolette, the stew was as simple as a wedge and deeply, richly beefy. The goozle I didn't use on the plate went into a container in the freezer - it will make the base for a wonderful soup later in the fall. Theresa's generosity has fed us five or six times in the past week - maybe I'll make her a coming-home gift of something to eat as delicious as the food she lost.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

I want to lick the screen.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I want that, and I don't even crave beef, hardly ever.
I love your slow-cooker technique.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, better than drooling on the keyboard, which makes so many problems.

Cookiecrumb, crock pots are da bomb - put it in and forget it. Nice.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

Looks so nice and comforting.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, that's the perfect word for it - comforting.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home