Saturday, November 7, 2009

Teenage Mutant Ninja Lemon

Ever since Hallowe'en, my nose has been tickled by the scent of this mutant-looking citron that pal Sari brought over to scare me on All Hallows' Eve. It does look a bit like a lemon that was growing at Three Mile Island.

It may be creepy looking but it's the most wonderfully fragrant thing it has ever been my pleasure to own. It has been in a basket on my dining table all week but it perfumes the whole kitchen as well - I catch whiffs of the scent from 20 feet away, and yet it's not at all a heavy scent. I want to bury it in my underwear drawer or dab it behind my ears.

Like all citrus, it has that signature tang, but Buddha's Hand adds a light floral note to that for the most seductive thing I've smelled since vanilla extract or the yeasty scent when you first pop open a bottle of Veuve Cliquot champagne.

I've been researching it and it seems the culinary uses are in place of lemon zest or in marmalade, so I think I'll try to make marmalade out of it. If it retains all that complex scent in the finished jam, it should be wonderful. But, even if you don't want to make jam with it, buy one just to have in the house; it's a simply marvelous creepy looking mutant.

10 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

My husband would get a real kick from that! Is it something that can only be found at specialty shops or do they sell it at farmer's markets?

Saturday, November 07, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I bought one at the farmer's market and found it so interesting that I drew it. You are right abut the scent; my kitchen had the most lovely lemon scent for ages.

Saturday, November 07, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

They are ugly but sure taste good.

Saturday, November 07, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Amanda, my friend got this one at a supermarket.

Nancy, it smells floral to me, too, as well as lemony.

Greg, how do you use it? I'm debating what to make with it.

Saturday, November 07, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Friends of mine made a sort of limoncello (sweet, infused liqueur) from a Buddah's Hand, but I coudn't stand the taste. But from your description, it would be worth it just to have a fresh one in the house.

Saturday, November 07, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Amazing beasties aren't they. I almost bought a tree a few years back, now I'm thinking I'll see if I can, it can't do any worse than the lemon tree we've already got.

Saturday, November 07, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I did read about the possibility of making limoncello or flavored vodka but honestly we drink so little that it would just sit in the cabinet. Guess I'll just stick with the marmalade or the "lemon" zest.

Morgan, if you don't want to plant a whole tree, just buy one for the house now and then. The scent is transporting.

Saturday, November 07, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Oh, and, Morgan, if you do buy a tree, plant it in the garden where the cats sleep. It's a wives' tale but it makes sense - that will be the warmest part of your garden.

Saturday, November 07, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, unfortunately that spot is where the passionfruit live, they would strangle any lemon tree in a season.

Sunday, November 08, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the offchance you've still got it, I'd throw it away if I were you. It's not a mutant, just a lemon that's been infected with the "Aceria sheldoni" mite (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aceria_sheldoni ).

Friday, April 02, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home