Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hallowe'en Whimsy

One of the best aspects of life in California is the relish with which Californians embrace Hallowe'en. Having spent 20 years in a part of the country where the approach to this holiday is more dutiful than joyous (and, in their defense, it's hard to get excited about dressing up in costume when you will likely have to cover it up with a down jacket to survive the late October frost), I have found delight in the childlike pleasure Californians bring to it.

I always look forward to seeing the costumes. I've had whole families (Mom, Dad, two young children, a baby and the family black lab) dressed as superheroes; adorable little girls in pink fluff lisping that they are dressed as "pwincesses;"a 10 year old FBI G-man with snap brim hat, trench coat and brief case who reached into his breast pocket, flipped open his wallet to show his ID, then demanded, completely straight-faced, "Ma'am, I'm investigating a report that you've been giving candy to minors; is that true, ma'am?" Taken aback, I stammered, "Well, yes..." to which he replied, still unsmiling, "In that case, ma'am, Trick or Treat," and opened his briefcase for me to drop some candy in. Even our teenagers get into the spirit. I can't wait to see the ghoulies and ghosties who show up this year!

I found these candles and holders in a gift shop in Virginia but they have the whimsical California spirit written all over them. We've enjoyed them for the past week and if you know where I can get some replacement candles as goofy and funny as these, I'd appreciate a tip.

Happy Hallowe'en!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

I may be heading up to Lightfoot -- outside of Williamsburg -- today. If so, I'll keep an eye out for the candles. Lightfoot, at the Williamsburg Pottery, is always good for that kind of stuff. Also I've found that they take Halloween just as seriously in Williamsburg as they do in California.

Saturday, October 31, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Those candles are hella cute.
Happy Halloween! I may be knocking on your door this evening. :D

Saturday, October 31, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, thanks! Enjoy Williamsburg for me - haven't been there in donkey's years.

Cookiecrumb, if you do come, bring Bartlett. Oh, and Cranky, too! :-)

Saturday, October 31, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

It's not big here, I've said before, but we generally get one or two of the local litties knocking. I was all prepared this year, sweeties in a big pumpkin, and not a single one!
Mr Brown, of course, was thrilled, and was slightly green this morning.

Saturday, October 31, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

happy halloween to you & yours!

Saturday, October 31, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, I have too much left over, too. Used to take it into the college where I worked and it was gone in flash. Now, temptation looms.

Anna, thanks, and the same to you and your dear Dad.

Sunday, November 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home