Monday, October 12, 2009

Mid-Morning Snack

My Beloved works part of the time out of a home office; the rest of the time, he's an on-the-road sales guy. When he's home, we sometimes enjoy a mid-morning snack, usually a cookie or a muffin we have picked up on our morning walk with Cora and brought home. It makes a nice break for him while he's working and I only get hungry for breakfast around 10am, so it works well for us.

This time, we had Beckmann's Lemon Current Scones. Beckmann's sends a rep up from Santa Cruz each Wednesday to attend our local farmer's market so we stopped by their booth for a treat. I must learn how to make these for myself once the farmer's market closes at the end of October - these are just too good to have only in the summer. Lovely and local, they are made with fresh ingredients and no preservatives. They freeze well, too, as I learned this morning when I busted out a couple to heat up for our mid-morning snack.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

Have you tried the scones made by Sconehenge in Berkeley? They're available at Andronico's and Berkeley Bowl.

Also yesterday Speing Hill was at the farmers market near me. Finally tasted the lemon quark. Yum.

Monday, October 12, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, another good tip from you. But I really do want to learn to make scones myself - they seem so basic but when well made they are so delicious. The secret, I'm sure, is real butter.

And don't you just love lemon quark? I like it smeared on fresh fruit, or on toast.

Monday, October 12, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Sconehenge!!!
Stuff I don't know.

Monday, October 12, 2009  
Blogger jumelager said...

I have a wonderful recipe that I'd be willing to share.....I think the secret is in the kneading of the dough.....

Monday, October 12, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, don't you just love clever names like that?

Jumelager, love your picture and I'd be thrilled if you'd share your recipe!

Monday, October 12, 2009  
Blogger Kailyn said...

A warning. There is a restaurant in Berkeley by the same name. From what I understand the scones and crumpets were made there before the change in ownership. Actually they may still. Either way it is my understanding that the baked goods are no longer available in the restaurant -- which is on Shattuck near the original Berkeley Bowl.

Monday, October 12, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

It always boils down to real butter!

Monday, October 12, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, I will look for them at Andronico's - thanks for the heads-up!

Morgan, say Amen somebody!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home