Friday, October 2, 2009

Open Wide

As a child, my younger brother was a picky eater, something that astonished and worried his parents and three older siblings, fine trenchermen one and all. He would spit out any baby food he didn't like and turn his head disdainfully away from spoons aimed at his mouth with the exhortation to "Open wide!"

He refused just about everything except pancakes, waffles, thin asparagus spears, peanut butter and butter sandwiches on thin white bread, and a certain brand of peanut butter cookies.

We tried everything from bribery to force to get him to widen his palate but he steadfastly refused. We even, to our everlasting shame, gave permission to try to a rather bullying neighbor who claimed he had forced his kids to eat. Scooter defeated us all and sent the bully away shaking his head. Finally, around the age of six or seven, he grudgingly added hot dogs, hamburgers and broccoli tops (no stems!) to his repertoire. Today, he's a good eater, although he still resolutely refuses shellfish.

All of which has virtually nothing to do with turkey soup that I found in the freezer, thawed and embellished with fresh veggies except that in order to eat this soup, you load up a spoonful and must "Open wide!"

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I, too, was a fussy eater when wee, I'd gagg if my pureed peas were insufficiently pureed. One lump and that was it. Or so I'm told.
Fussy eaters, we eventually do grow out of it ;)

Friday, October 02, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, and now you'll even eat sea snot! Such a transformation!

Friday, October 02, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I was the complete opposite of a fussy eater. The only think I ever refused to eat as a kid and still won't eat is tomato-fish aspic. In fact, I don't really like tomato-fish combos anyway so I'm not a fan of choppino. But I am developing into a fussy eater in my old age; I'm teaching myself to be picky and that it's not necessary to clean my plate. My waistline thanks me but I still eat a huge variety of foods - in fact, your soup sounds utterly delicious!

Friday, October 02, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, tomato-fish aspic sounds revolting! I don't mind jelled things and I like tomatoes and fish separately but, like you, UGH to the aspic!

Saturday, October 03, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home