Saturday, September 26, 2009

They Come From The Land Down Under

Just a week ago, we were lunching with DancingMorganMouse and Mr. Brown in San Francisco on a sunny day. They had come from Australia via New York City and very kindly asked if there was anything from Oz they could cart clear 'round the world and halfway back for me.

I said yes. I have heard for most of my life a catchy little song about the "Man From Down Under" who eats Vegemite sandwiches and I've always wondered what Vegemite is. I have heard that it's the Australian equivalent of peanut butter and I was curious. True to her promise, Morgan brought me a tube of Vegemite and, as if satisfying a lifelong curiosity wasn't sufficient, she also brought a lovely bag of Murray River pink salt as well.

I've been sprinkling the salt on everything from roasting chickens (yes it made a huge and delicious difference) to cantaloupe to my nightly dinner and it is really special. Thank you, Ms. Mouse!

I have to admit that it took me a few days to get up the courage to try the Vegemite. When I opened the tube, out squeezed an evil-looking dark brown substance (okay, goo!) reminiscent of axle grease. Hmmm. Took a tiny dab on my finger and hesitatingly touched it to my tongue. Salty, rich, mysterious. Unlike anything I've tasted before. Morgan and Mr. Brown suggested that I spread it on toast - just a whisper, not a smear- so I did and it really is interesting. It tastes just as I've described - salty, rich and mysterious. I'm thinking I'll try using it on meats, too, perhaps smearing a bit on chicken before barbecuing or on a beef roast before it goes into the oven. The dark color might add interest also to foods cooked in a crock pot. In any case, you can see that I've already got a month's worth of ideas from that first little taste.

Each time I sprinkle or squeeze, I'll be thinking of our new friends from Down Under and wondering if they are sprinkling and squeezing down there, too.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

So really, we brought you salt and ..... salt! We'll have to think of something sweet for next time, to balance things out ;)

Saturday, September 26, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Yeah, well I got a sweaty skippy nut sack. Some friend!

:D

Zoomie, I roasted a chicken smeared with Marmite. Same idea. Tasty!

(word verification: dishat)

Saturday, September 26, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, both very much appreciated, but sweets are always welcome, too! :-)

Cookiecrumb, you also got a book, as I recall - what was it?

Sunday, September 27, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Yeah, I got a book of Australian slang, which I am memorizing! Fair dinkum.
Morgan is a peach.

Sunday, September 27, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, good _on_ ya! Too right!

Monday, September 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home