Saturday, September 19, 2009

Red Meat

When My Beloved comes home from work in a crabby mood, thankfully a very rare event, I realize that he needs a little TLC.

With him, that translates to red meat. He had called from the road to say he'd be late and gave me a litany of the ills of the day, so I nipped out to the store and brought home a huge, bone-in rib eye steak. I'd been curious, anyway, about whether or not the bone actually improves the flavor as the experts claim, and the bone-in ones were slightly cheaper, so I could get three kinds of value from this purchase.

Firing up the grill, I threw the steak onto the medium-hot grate and seared it briefly; he likes his beef still to have a blood pressure. Let it rest for a few minutes before serving it alongside a nice big artichoke with melted butter.

Do I need to say that his mood improved as soon as he saw his plate and continued to mellow as the meal went on?

But, did the bone really enhance the flavor? Maybe it's my imagination but I really think it did. Ribeye steak is a lovely cut anyway, but having the bone in made it taste even richer, meatier, somehow. Besides, he loves to gnaw on bones - what's not to like? He enjoyed the TLC and I did, too.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

TLC and red meat -can't be beat!

Saturday, September 19, 2009  
Blogger Kailyn said...

That would make me happy too. And my mom has always sworn that the best meat is that closest to the bone.

Saturday, September 19, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I think that rhymes.

Kailyn, and mothers are always right, aren't they?

Sunday, September 20, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Meat on the bone always tastes better, think of lamb shanks!

Sunday, September 20, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, ooh, lamb shanks! Haven't had them in a long while. I'll wait for our hot spell to dissipate, then...

Monday, September 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home