Thursday, September 10, 2009

For The Love of Pepper

My Beloved adores pepper. While others may love salt and grow lyrical in their descriptions of Maldon, Fleur de Sel, etc., he gets really enthusiastic about pepper. He puts it on everything from cantaloupe to big, rare steaks - and when I say "puts it on," I really mean "loads it on!"

His Boston daughter introduced him to a battery-driven pepper mill that not only grinds the pepper but also lights the plate with a flashlight cleverly worked into the bottom of the mill so he can be sure he has 'way too much on his food; he keeps wearing out the batteries. This is a serious pepper hound.

So, when I saw this little palm-sized, spring loaded pepper mill in the SF MOMA museum store last weekend when we were there to see the Georgia O'Keefe/Ansel Adams show, I just had to buy it and hide it in my purse, awaiting the first restaurant meal where there was only a (miserable) pepper shaker on the table. I didn't have long to wait - why is it that restaurants, even fine dining restaurants, only offer shakers, rarely grinders? Anyway, when I saw My Beloved unscrewing the cap of the shaker, it was time to reveal my surprise!

You should have seen the look on his face! Am I a good wife, or what?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

A most excellently excellent wife!

Thursday, September 10, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Meow, purr.
(What is it about men and pepper? Y chromosome?)

Thursday, September 10, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, I knew you'd agree. :-)

Cookiecrumb, MB is the only man I know who loves it - is Cranky another?

Friday, September 11, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Cranky likes pepper more than I do, but he's not up to MB's level of devotion. I still think it's a guy thing.

Friday, September 11, 2009  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

You ever feel guilty when you say stop and you realy want more pepper. I think this fancy contraption may solve the problem.

Cookiecrumb, I have the M chromomeatsone. Freak of Nature I have been told.

Friday, September 11, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

You are a great wife! It's so fun to surprise people with little thoughtful things, isn't it?

Friday, September 11, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

My word verification: "eatica."

Friday, September 11, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, MB has been at it longer.

Chilebrown, I think you're right about your chromosomal makeup - Biggles has it, too.

Anna, I live for the look on his face when I can surprise him like that!

Cookiecrumb, how very apt.

Saturday, September 12, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home