Saturday, September 12, 2009

Pizzacapade

The saga of the pizza dough continues. I made what turned out to be a huge batch of pizza dough over the weekend to accommodate a party of possibly 10 ravenous amusement park revelers after a day at Children's Fairyland in Oakland.

Unfortunately, the recipe (which was from a chef who would have impressed the heck out of you had I been at liberty to share his name and his recipe) was in grams and somehow my online conversion counter screwed up. We ended up with an enormous bowl of thick, bubbly soup and had to resort to calling Extreme Pizza for a bailout of their raw dough. Long story short, everyone enjoyed their pizzas - happy ending.

Back to the soup - I kept adding flour to the mix, cup after cup, and letting it rise again until finally it was gatherable (is that a word?). That took two more days and four more flour additions. It made enough pizza dough to feed the entire army of Liechtenstein. Then rolled it out and topped it with simple ingredients, really more interested in the taste of the dough after all this effort than in the toppings.

It was pizza, no more and no less. It was good, maybe even very good, but stellar? Nope. I was expecting sourdough flavor after so much time rising and bubbling in the San Francisco bay air, but it was just good ol' pizza dough, nothin' fancy. I divided it into reasonable size portions and froze the rest - frankly, I'm a little tired of pizza right now - to top on some distant day.

Anyone need a little pizza dough to round out your week's menus? I have no idea how well it freezes - stay tuned for the final episode of the pizzacapade.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

What an adventure, one day I may speak of my zuchhini bread disaster!

Saturday, September 12, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I WISH I knew who! I'll feed you martinis and make you blab.
I'll tell you Judy Rodgers's pizza story: She worked on her dough for SIX months before she'd put it on the menu. Zuni Cafe.

Saturday, September 12, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

Is that what you get when you ask for a "bunch of dough"?

Sunday, September 13, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

You could make a Middle Eastern type of flat bread with this - roll it out and sprinkle with sesame seeds or fennel seeds and coarse black pepper. Plop on the grill and serve in wedges with fresh tomatoes and whatever else your little heart desires.

Sunday, September 13, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, shall I ask you about it next week?

Cookiecrumb, my lips are sealed. Nice to know, however, that even the best cooks don't have instant success.

Greg, you'd have laughed aloud to see the size of the bowl and the size of the dough ball. Think basketball!

Nancy, it does puff up like a pita unless you puncture the "balloon" while it's on the grill. I could stuff the inside with all kinds of lovely things, couldn't I?

Sunday, September 13, 2009  
Blogger Kay said...

Stop by my blog. I've given you the Zombie Chicken Award!" :o)

Sunday, September 13, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kay, thanks so much! I'm flattered... I think! :-D

Monday, September 14, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home