Thursday, October 1, 2009

Shrimp Stories

Oops, please forgive this badly unfocused picture of a great, quick meal - I was in a hurry making it as well as photographing it.

My Beloved and I had returned home late and we were starving. I made the tactical error of starting some lovely Massa rice as the base for a stir fry, the quickest meal I know how to make. Massa rice is the most delicious rice on earth, but it does take almost twice as long to cook as white rice does. I was shaky with hunger by the time dinner was on the table - you can tell by the blurry photograph.

I never make anything with shrimp without remembering the time at age seven when I, an animal lover from an early age, fed half the cocktail shrimp my mother had prepared for a dinner party to a rangy, shaggy stray dog who showed up at our doorstep in Hawaii and with whom I fell instantly in love. Shrimp was a rare treat in our house (I had sneaked one or two for myself earlier in the day) so I figured the dog might decide to stay if I gave him some. My mother was furious, the dog had a owner, and I was grounded for the rest of my natural life. Despite these little setbacks, I still love shrimp.

I seem to be on a ginger roll, enjoying adding a little fresh grated ginger to everything from Pear-Ginger Upside Down Cake to teriyaki sauce for our grilled tri-tip to this shrimp, carrot, green bean, garlic and onion stir fry. It made an otherwise fairly bland meal into something fresh and special. These days, I get to welcome as many stray dogs as I want but I have to admit I don't feed them shrimp - I keep it all for myself and My Beloved!


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

You need to have some emergency snacks in the house, to nibble on while preparing dinner. Last night as our dinner bubbled away in the oven we had some olives and salami, kept Mr Brown from eating his own arm!

Thursday, October 01, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, that would have been a great idea but this was one of those days when the cupboard was bare. Mea culpa, of course. Grrrr!

Friday, October 02, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Your feeding that stray dog shimp is such a delightful story and I can well believe that you were grounded for life. Bad Zoomie!

Friday, October 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home