Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Spooky Stuff

To get myself in the mood for Hallowe'en, I decided to clean out my refrigerator. There's more scary stuff in there than in all of Transylvania.

I discovered the molasses, for example, that I was searching for back in September when I made the pear cake - I knew it was in the house somewhere but I never thought to check the fridge.

I rather expected to find the ancient tub of crême fraiche would be growing greenish-gray spots (and it was) and I wasn't surprised to find a different sort of fungus growing on the little bit of homemade peach jam I had left too long, but who knew that straight lemon juice would grow the most dramatic mold of all, proving beyond a doubt that life can exist in every milieu, no matter how harsh? I expect they will find mold growing on Mars once we get there.

The worst of the scary finds was surely the six big shrimp that I tucked away in the fridge back when I was making the shrimp soup - not so very long ago, really - figuring I'd save them from overcooking by adding new ones when I reheated the soup - only, they got pushed back behind something else and forgotten. Luckily, they were well wrapped or I'd have gagged getting them out to the garbage can.

Do you recall the episode of the TV show "Dinosaurs" called "When Good Food Goes Bad?" The contents of their fridge come alive and kidnap the baby dinosaur while the teenage dinos are babysitting. It comes vividly to mind whenever I clean out my fridge.

Happy Hallowe'en!


Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

I've seen such spooky stuff too, especially from back corners of my fridge. Welcome home!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Welcome back indeed! Too bad those bits of mold and fungus couldn't morph into a cleaning person and take care of themselves. I have a fantasy that my dust bunnies might do that one of these days - but maybe that's not such a good thought. With my luck, they'd grow into something out of ghost busters and trash the place.
Of course, if you were REALLY into some sorts of the new cuisine, you could use those "things" to make new cuisine.
Er..that's probably not a good idea either.
Anyway, welcome back again. I'm looking forward to new adventures at Chez Zoomie.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That was quite a haul, Zoomie!

The other day I ate some really old blue cheese that was starting to turn pink. What the hey. Tasted fine.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

O my, I must check the back of the fridge when I get home.
Welcome home!

Tuesday, October 27, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, thanks, it's good to go but it's even better to come home.

Nancy, now there's a real Hallowe'en idea - fungal cuisine! Actually, once in a very chi-chi restaurant in DC I was given corn fungus and told it was a very special delicacy; kinda like Picasso, I wondered if they were serious or really pulling my leg.

Cookiecrumb, yeah, I usually just cut the grimy bits off cheese and go ahead and eat it. Haven't died yet. Nietzsche in the kitchen.

Morgan, all kinds of treasures await you! Enjoy!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009  
Blogger Kay said...

"NOT the Mama!!" **bam**

I loved The Dinosaurs. :oD

Amazingly, coffee left in the pot over the weekend in an empty office, will grow mold too. Who knew?!

Thursday, October 29, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kay, I'm so glad to find a fellow "Dinosaurs" lover! I did know about the coffee - from bitter personal experience. :-)

Friday, October 30, 2009  
Blogger Barbara Giles said...

Love the burials -- and that they are featured on a blog! Look forward to more Zoomie adventures -- transcontinental, and extraterrestrial!

Saturday, October 31, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home