Sunday, November 1, 2009

Better Than California

We Californians tend to brag a bit about our consistently sunny weather and natural beauty but there's at least one thing the East coast does better than California - fall color.

Last week, my sister and I drove from Greensboro, NC to Rome, NY and back via Washington, DC to visit our older brother and his family, and all along our route the fall colors were in full swing. I had rather forgotten how exciting is the blaze of red, yellow, orange, ochre, maroon and brown, contrasting with
the true, soft green of the eastern forest. On an overcast day, they lend amazing beauty and on a sunny day they are resplendent.

I took this picture at Gunston Hall, the historic home of George Mason whose ideas of independence were borrowed by and whose language was tightened up by Thomas Jefferson when he wrote the Declaration of Independence. The trees there, close to the Potomac's softening influence, were just getting started. While I'm glad to be back on the sunny Left Coast, I'm also glad I had the chance to feast my eyes on a glorious East coast fall.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kailyn said...

Ha! I'll be posting photos that include some of the fall colors later this week but from the Tidewater area.

Oh and while they had all kinds of wonderful candles at the Pottery, I did not see any like yours.

Sunday, November 01, 2009  
Blogger kudzu said...

It is so beautiful there at this time of year. My brother lived on the Potomac, not far from there; life on the river is pretty wonderful. There were eagle nests in the woods nearby and he had an old boat he would take out now and then to explore the inlets. I especially miss it at this time of year, and I miss him, too, now that he is no longer with us. Nice to remember him on Dia de los Muertos. Thanks.

Sunday, November 01, 2009  
Blogger Amanda said...

Hi! I found your blog through Orangette, and it's great. I look forward to reading more.

I live in southern Maine. I'm surrounded by the beautiful fall foliage every year, but I continue to be amazed by it. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it, too! :)

Sunday, November 01, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

BAH, it waited until we left!

Sunday, November 01, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, thanks for looking, anyway.

Kudzu, memories, memories. Glad yours of your brother are happy ones.

Amanda, welcome! Isn't Orangette da bomb? Maine has particularly gorgeous colors since they are counterpointed by the dark evergreens. Lucky you.

Morgan, you were 'way too early! Just another excuse to come again.

Monday, November 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home