Monday, November 2, 2009

The Battle of the Dipping Sauces

When I returned from back East, on my kitchen counter I found a little dish of a mysterious, garlicky-smelling sauce. My Beloved explained that while he was entertaining his brother and wife with fresh California artichokes, his daughter Katie had rejected his offer of lemon butter in favor of this olive oil-based sauce of her own concocting.

I decided to do a side-by-side taste test of the two sauces with the remaining artichoke. I have always been a fan of lemon butter - what's not to like? Melted butter, fresh lemon juice and a tender artichoke spells heaven to me. But, dipping my leaves into this combination of olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, black pepper and herbs, I had to admit that she had my lemon butter beat. The extra flavor and lower cholesterol are a bonus. Olive oil actually has more calories than butter but they are well worth it when doctored up so tastily and served next to one of my favorite veggies.

This seems like the best kind of detente to me - both are winners!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Sounds divine. I'll try that next time. (I actually like to experiment with my artichoke sauces, so no-brainer!)

Monday, November 02, 2009  
Blogger Kailyn said...

When I'm not using hummus, I like to go with an aioli so I'd probably like Katie's dip.

Monday, November 02, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Massive thanks to Kailyn, BTW, for the hummus suggestion. Which I use often. It's like -- nutrition! And really tasty.

Monday, November 02, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, Katie is very inventive and her inventions are usually yummy.

Kailyn & Cookie, I wish I could talk My Beloved into liking hummus but he turns his nose up at it.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home