Monday, November 16, 2009

Life's Small Pleasures

I have an optimistic outlook and an appreciation for life's little pleasures. I didn't cultivate these traits; they just seem to be part of my DNA. Just lucky I guess. I expect good things to happen, and they usually do. I don't have to be reminded to take time to admire these glorious Western sunsets. I automatically stop to smell the flowers as I walk with Cora. I enjoy visiting for a few minutes with Kitty Sweet, the utterly imperturbable orange cat who lives two doors down. I like the occasional trashy novel and relish an afternoon nap. And, when in my travels I come across Westminster oyster crackers, I get a little lift of pleasure when I open the package.

All they really are is saltines but there is something extra fun about the little rounded shapes that crunch lightly between my teeth, spreading a light buttery taste and a little salt over my tongue. Once, when his mother was on a very restricted diet, My Beloved ordered her a whole case of these to be delivered to bring her a smile. They just do. He ordered a case for us, as well, and we grinned each time we fished out a packet for a snack.

Next time your seafood comes served with oyster crackers, my wish for you is an optimistic outlook and the small pleasure of Westminster oyster crackers in your soup.


Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger kudzu said...

My father always made oyster stew for supper on Christmas Eve. My brother and I would have none of it -- not the creamy, buttery broth, not (especially -- shudder) the oysters. But he floated oyster crackers on top of the stew and we ate them by the handful. They still remind me of Christmas, no matter what the season.

Monday, November 16, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

(Excuse me, I'm recovering from Kudzu's description... Swoon. Mostly food I can't eat, but oysters, hellz yeah.)

So, Zoomie: Do they serve these oyster crackers at the Lobster Shack in Redwood City? I've been there once, and don't remember.

Your beloved is a cute Santa.

Monday, November 16, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I love oyster crackers! I like them just as they are because I don't like oysters. Just give me the crackers, crab and beer - that's one of life's GREAT pleasures.

Monday, November 16, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kudzu, do you eat oysters now? Lovely memory.

Cookiecrumb, yes, that's where I photographed this packet and yes, he is. Adorable, in fact.

Nancy, I'm with you on the crackers and crab, but beer? Hmmm...

Tuesday, November 17, 2009  
Blogger kudzu said...

Yes, I do eat oysters -- though I am cautious about raw ones these days (two friends have had bad results during the last year). I can still recall the bravery of downing my first on-the-half-shell at a posh party in NY when there was nothing for it but to......swallow. (Reputation as a sophisticate at stake, you know.) Love them grilled with Hog Wash, esp., and fried oysters on the Savannah coast are addictive. And yes, I even adore my daddy's Christmas Eve stew now.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kudzu, okay, I'll bite - what's Hog Wash? A brand of bbq sauce?

Tuesday, November 17, 2009  
Blogger kudzu said...

Oh, sorry -- I'm such a locavore. It's a recipe from the Hog Island guys for a great sauce to use on raw or cooked oysters (or on a stick, it's so tasty!). It's riff on mignonette with chiles and lime and cilantro....using both seasoned and unseasoned rice wine vinegars, so it means laying in supplies, but it's delicious.

Thursday, November 19, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kudzu, great name for the sauce! Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Friday, November 20, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home