Sunday, December 6, 2009

Relishing Porkiness

Onions and apples have always been good friends with pork - they are naturals together - so when I had two nice thick pork chops, an apple that needed eating and a nice big onion in the fridge, it seemed like a match made in heaven.

First, I cut a deep pocket into the fat side of each chop with a sharp knife, taking care to keep the blade level so the pocket sides would be evenly thick. The chops were about an inch thick, so the resulting pocket was about 1/2" thick on each side.

Then, I diced finely about 3/4 of a large apple (snacked on the rest while I worked) and the same amount of onion. I sautéed them both in a little butter, just until the onion was translucent and the apple had softened a bit, added about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the pan and tossed the dice to coat. Into each chop pocket, I spooned a healthy portion of the apple-onion relish, reserving the rest.

I browned the chops on both sides using a little olive oil in a heavy frying pan (being careful not to dump out the stuffing when I turned them), then added a generous splash of chicken broth to the pan and put the lid on. Steaming the chops this way kept the meat moist while it cooked for about 10-15 minutes more. My Beloved likes his pork slightly on the pink side, so I took his out a few minutes before mine. These cook faster than chops without pockets so watch them carefully.

Laying the chops on the plates, I spooned the rest of the reserved apple-onion mixture over the chops. The vinegar added a lively tang to the sweet and savory of the apple-onion flavors and gave another dimension to the rich chops. I would happily make this again - it was easy, relatively quick and we relished (sorry 'bout that!) every bite.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

It's lovely how pork goes with apples & onions. I make a pork,apple,onion&sage pie, for eating cold, which your post has remimded me of. Perhaps next weekend.

Sunday, December 06, 2009  
Blogger Kailyn said...

Yum. I have often made caramelized apples to go with pork. And one of my happiest discoveries since I started calorie counting is that pork is about as low as chicken.

Monday, December 07, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

I am sitting here eating breakfast cereal and wishing I could have one of those instead.Mmmmm!

Monday, December 07, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

OMG, you are ready for a TV cooking show! Fabulous.

Monday, December 07, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, oops, I forgot the sage - and I have some growing fresh in the garden, too. For shame!

Kailyn, I think that calorie-wise all meats are the same, as long as you don't eat the skin on the chicken, the fat on the edge of your steak, etc., and the meat isn't heavily marbled.

Greg, breakfast is along way from dinner - maybe you can swing it by sundown?

Cookiecrumb, what? You mean because my jokes are so corny?

Monday, December 07, 2009  
Blogger Kailyn said...

No, I've noticed that the calories for per ounce for pork is usually much lower than beef -- probably because with pork it is much easier to remove a good portion of the fat.

Monday, December 07, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kailyn, yes, and it's not marbled with fat unless you get a shoulder cut, usually.

Monday, December 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home