Thursday, December 15, 2011

T'is The Season(ing)

When we visit Hawaii, we always bring back a little something for our neighbors who kindly accept packages for us and generally keep an eye on our house while we are away. It's also the holiday season, a traditional time for gift giving. So, in grocery stores or shops in Hawaii, I'm always on the lookout for something fun to pique their interest.

This time, I found several different rubs from a new-to-me company, Aloha Spice Company in Hanapepe on the island of Kaua'i.

The ingredients on the label of Pele's Smokey Coffee Rub, the first one I tried, are organic herbs and spices, Kaua'i coffee, Hawaiian 'Alaea sea Salt, organic sugar and natural smoke flavor. Some of the spice is clearly from peppers - it has a little of Pele's heat in it.

The package recommended it for use on steaks, chicken or pork and we had a small chicken from Marin Sun Farms in the freezer, so that was our choice. We rubbed it lightly on the chicken and, laying the chicken on a square of foil to deflect the heat of the coals, grilled it for about 40 minutes on the Weber. The coffee flavor was pronounced, the heat was light and sneaky, the salt was more of an undertone than a strong presence, just the way we like it.

Clearly, this is a product we will be happy to share with our good neighbors. It was great on the chicken but I can imagine it on grilled pineapple and even roasted potatoes. I'll try that one day soon and let you know what I think.

A certain couple I know is considering going vegan for a while, and this might make that effort even more interesting, as all the ingredients are organic and vegetable or mineral based.

If you'd like to learn about the company or order some of their products, here's the website: www.alohaspice.com

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I never thought of coffee in a spice rub. It sounds and looks really good.

Thursday, December 15, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Kauai coffee! I was unaware of its existence. Good get, Zooms.

Thursday, December 15, 2011  
Blogger kudzu said...

Thanks for the testimonial! I went straight to the site and ordered some things for my daughter (who was Hawaiian in another life, we're convinced) and for ME. Can't wait to try them. Excellent prices, too, for such quality stuff.

Thursday, December 15, 2011  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I have heard of coffee rubs and marinades but never tried them. I will have to make a coffee rub if you say it tastes good.
An indirect fire will not need foil to deflect heat.

Friday, December 16, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, the first coffee rub I tried was the exquisite "Black Dragon" from Baron's Meats in Alameda - and I was sold. This is a variation on that sublime theme.

Cookiecrumb, yes, recently they have started growing coffee on Kaua'i as well as the Big Island. Perfect climate, of course, and now they're getting creative about what they do with it.

Kudzu, I will be interested to hear if you and she like them. She's my kind of gal - loves horses and Hawaii!

Chilebrown, I thought of you as I folded my foil and thought, "Chilebrown will scold me for this." :-)

Friday, December 16, 2011  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

I'll have to look for this line of spices next time I'm in Hawaii which I certainly hope is soon! I think that I bought some of that seas salt you mention is part of the rub...but I gave it away so I never got to try it. Clearly I need to book another trip ASAP, if only to grocery shop.

Saturday, December 17, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Hungry Dog, I find that just about any excuse will do...

Saturday, December 17, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home