Thursday, December 29, 2011

Change Of Pace

I'm half Irish, so it goes without saying that I love potatoes. Any kind of potatoes. Fixed any way. If it's a potato, bring it on.

But every now and then even I get a little tired of potatoes to round out my dinner plate. When that happens, an infrequent occasion to be sure, I either serve another green veggie or go looking for an alternative starch. Rice is nice, beans are great, but in the winter for some reason, sweet potatoes rule.

I don't make a big fuss over them - no mixing with sugar or topping with marshmallows - I just bake them in their skins, slice them open and add salt and butter. The color perks up the dull palette of winter foods and the naturally sweet taste shines as brightly as the hue. I even eat the skin - my mother always told me that was the part with all the vitamins in it but I don't eat it for health; I eat it because it tastes so good.

Next time you have the winter blahs pick up some of these humble beauties and chase the blues with all that bright orange. It makes a good change of pace.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I love sweet potatoes - I like to roast them with carrots and apples. You are right not to muck up the potatoes with all that sugary stuff. They don't need it!

Thursday, December 29, 2011  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

1/2 Irish, was it your mum or dad who travelled over?
Love Sweet Potato, but only the orange one. The purple-skinned white one does nothing for me at all.

Thursday, December 29, 2011  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

It makes me think of a sweet potato soup I'm looking forward to making. But, you're not interested in soup just at the moment. Nice plate of food!

Thursday, December 29, 2011  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, they are sweet enough just as they come. Great stuff.

Ms Mouse, my Dad's grandparents all four came from different parts of Ireland, met each other in Holyoke, MA and married.

I haven't tried the white ones - I think we call those yams here.

Cookiecrumb, I'm always interested in whatever you are making, even if I don't rush right out to copy you! :-)

Friday, December 30, 2011  
Blogger Greg said...

Great plate and photo. The hazy sun we have been enjoying makes for perfect light for photos.

Sunday, January 01, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home