Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pizza, Take Two

When we made pizza with the new - ta-da! - Kitchen Aid, we ended up with enough crust for four servings, so I popped the extra two into a baggie in the fridge for later.

What went in had lots of elbow room; what came out was plump and filled to the corners. The baggie nearly burst overnight, as that dough kept rising even in the chilly fridge. Because it smelled yeasty and a little sour, I had high hopes for the flavor.

So, we had pizza again the second night. I punched down the dough, rolled it out thinly again, and slathered it this time with a more traditional mixture of tomato sauce and tomato paste with plenty of oregano mixed in, then topped with mozzarella, slices of dry salami and sautéed mushrooms.

Abbondanza!

Sadly, the sour smell wafted away in the oven and we were left with a similar taste to the night before, but the texture was a little better this time, more elastic and crisp-chewy than the first night. If I use this recipe again, I'll make it a day ahead. But, I'm in the mood to go searching for The Perfect Pizza Dough, so I'll be trying others, keeping this one as a really, really good fallback. There are worse fates than new pizza recipes to try.


4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I am a big fan of the free form shape of pizza. Rustic and crafted with yummy toppings. Try cooking the dough on the BBQ for even more fun.

Sunday, January 08, 2012  
Blogger Toons said...

Well I have a few recipes for Pizza dough, both sour and plain, if you want some. Send me your email and I'll be more than happy to send you some, Cheers!

Sunday, January 08, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

This is going to be fun! Hoping for two delicious outcomes: a good crust recipe, and damn brilliance in toppings. You're on your way.

Sunday, January 08, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, we did the barbeque thing for a pizza party a while ago and it makes for lots of hilarity and fun. But on a winter night, I prefer the warm cosies of the oven.

James, I have seen yours - you sent it to me for bread once. I keep forgetting the starter and killing it with neglect. I'm going to try adding sour ingredients and see if that works.

Cookiecrumb, yes, I think it will be fun. When I get it right, maybe I'll have a pizza party and invite the gang to make their own.

Monday, January 09, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home