Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I'm Doing My Best

Here in NOCA, it should be raining by now.

We have two seasons rather than four, the Wet and the Dry. Most years, you can count on a dry summer from April to October and a wet winter from November to March - the temperature doesn't vary that much seasonally but the amount of rain does. The fear mongers on the nightly news are already talking drought.

I furled and put away my umbrella. I bought a brand new bag of charcoal for our outdoor grill. I had my car washed. I put out the cushions on our outdoor furniture.

In short, I'm going everything I can think of to encourage the rain gods, but nothing seems to work. For most of December and, so far, all of January we have had day after day of sunny, bright weather and glorious sunsets. My Beloved calls this, "the upside of drought."

I have to admit that I am loving it. I know there may be a price to pay with water restrictions later in the year but, for now, I am reveling in the chance to walk my dog without a raincoat, to enjoy night after night of glorious sunsets and morning after morning of pearly dawns. Since there is nothing I can do about it, I'm just going to wallow in it.

Or maybe I'll try leaving the top down on my convertible overnight. That's a sure-fire rain dance.

11 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Brilliant photo! I washed both our cars too. That almost always works.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012  
Anonymous jann said...

No doubt payback for all the bitching over NO summer.
Still brilliant weather right now.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012  
Blogger Hungry Dog said...

I'm enjoying the beautiful weather, there's no sense not enjoying it! We can't MAKE it rain (although you have some clever tactics). We just have to take what we get. Drought will be bad if and when it happens (isn't California always in a drought? remember the 7-year-drought...) but I suspect rain will come soon enough.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, thanks for the compliment. I have to admit it's not difficult with these glorious sunsets.

Jann, yes, this is the summer we didn't have this year, only a little chillier.

Hungry Dog, you've got the right attitude and I think you're right - the rain will come, just not on our schedule.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I'm going around saying things like "Oh, what fantastic weather. I HATE rain." So far, the rain gods are not listening. I'm enjoying some of it but when I talk to the farmers at the various farmers' markets around the city, I hear their worry. We tend to forget that California is more of a desert state than not.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012  
Blogger Toons said...

So I guess there is a silver lining even without clouds and rain. Ya gotta love the Bay Area!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, my next tactic will be to wash my windows, but I'm saving that for desperation.

James, I'm loving that silver lining. Used Sartain's sauce again last night trying to replicate a dish my mother used to make. I might post about it soon.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

The days are definitely longer already.
Sob! I hate winter.
Doing OK, though.
Brava to you for your resilience and good humor.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, chin up! Not only are the days longer, they are also brighter this year. Hang tough.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Bright is very, very good. Like medicine. Sigh.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, you're so right! Bright is best - I moved here more for the bright than for the warm.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home