Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Putting The Ham In Hamburger

My Beloved adores hamburgers. Freshly ground, he will happily eat the beef raw. He also loves it cooked, but just barely - the top and bottom should be seared but the middle can still be chilly, as far as he's concerned.

He likes cheeseburgers, mushroom burgers, burgers with a slice of raw onion on top - you name it, he loves it. Just last week, I found a new way to tickle his taste buds - adding the ham to hamburger.

I had purchased some uncured, shaved Fra' Mani ham for sandwiches and, while I was forming our hamburger patties, that ham came to mind. I minced a couple of the thin slices with a sharp knife and worked it into the ground beef before pan searing the patties in the usual way. The smoky, salty essence of the ham really enhanced the beef - they tasted like they came off the barbecue that I reluctantly covered up when the rain began.

Nestled into Semifreddi sandwich rolls with the bready middle hollowed out and replaced with sautéed mushrooms, topped with a frill of lettuce and anchored with fresh tomato slices and dabs of June Taylor's ambrosial catsup, this was finger food for the gods.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Outstanding! A hammie hamburger.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

That sounds like a great burger.

Why do you call it uncured ham?

Wednesday, November 24, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, it was killer!

Chilebrown, it means they didn't use any nitrites or nitrates to cure the ham, just celery salt (which contains some nitrites naturally, I think). I found this at Whole Paycheck's deli counter and I'd actually go there again (I usually have WP) to get this particular ham. It is _really_ good.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I actually would love to try it. It is just the terminology. It is cured ham but without traditional nitrates/nitrites.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, I think so. It's definitely ham, rather than pork roast. Does that make sense? I think they can't call it "cured" unless it has been treated with curing salts, which apparently don't include celery salt.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

It sounds divine. Good thinking, Zoom.

We've been cavorting with Fra' Mani ham chez nous; there's a rosemary-scented version that is ethereal. And Whole Foods will slice it nice and thin for ya.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I saw that rosemary kind when I was there and was tempted. Now, on your recommendation, I'll try some.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

How does your beloved like his steak? I'm of the 'wipe it's bum and send it out' school, but I understand not everyone feels the same :)

Friday, November 26, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, his usual request to the chef is "as rare as you can cook it." I'm more of a medium-rare gal myself but he likes it still to have a blood pressure.

Saturday, November 27, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home