Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Falling For Kabocha

Where did I read about this idea - to brown sausages (I used mild Italian sausage this time) in an ovenproof pan, then add squash slices to the same pan and slide it into the oven until the squash is tender? I'm having a senior moment. If you are out there, please weigh in and take credit, for this was not only easy it was heavenly.

The sausage renders some fat to coat the bottom of the pan - not too much! - and cooking the squash in that elixir of sausage lends it all kinds of flavor. I did sprinkle on some of my favorite Herbs de Provence for added zest, but it would have been lovely just plain, too. I didn't even peel the squash - once it's tender, it's easy to remove the rind.

I used the lone kabocha squash left in my little market because they had no butternuts, and it was a revelation. I have tried kabocha squash before but this application is perfect for it. I wish I had roasted the whole squash this way, as the leftovers would have made for a wonderful roasty soup - I may actually have to serve this again this week just so I can do that.

For an easy and tasty fall dinner, try this sausage-and-squash combo; I think you'll fall for it, too.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Looks like a great combination.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I have an acorn squash in the house. Sausages in the freezer. Wow. I bet your kitchen smelled dreamy.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, it really is - I've been stopping strangers in the supermarket to get them to try it.

Cookiecrumb, no reason it wouldn't work just fine with acorn, too. Yes, it lured My Beloved up from his downstairs office.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010  
Anonymous Peter said...

I'm pretty sure it was me, since all great ideas are mine.

Kabocha are my favorite squash. They squash other squash with their greatness.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, that _must_ be it! But, since you didn't write about it...

Thursday, November 18, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home