Tuesday, November 9, 2010

There's A Fungus Among Us

In fact, there are six kinds of fungus among us, at present. I finished the fresh button mushrooms in the fridge last night. But, I have this marvelous bag full of mixed dried 'shrooms that I carted all the way back from Cape Cod, only to find that Atlantic Spice has a sister living here in San Francisco.

My problem is that I can't decide what to do with them. Mushroom risotto? Chicken Cacciatore? Mushroom and rice timbales? Sautéed mushrooms on toast? Under poached eggs? It's a nice big bag, but I don't think it will stretch to all the ideas I've been mulling over.

I guess the first step is to re-hydrate them, then decide. Any suggestions from the Peanut Gallery?

5 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

Add some fresh mushrooms and make some mushroom soup. Even better yet use the dried with the fresh and make mushroom risoto. Dry them out in an oven put them in a grinder and use as a steak rub.
You could just give them to me?

Tuesday, November 09, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Yeah, mushroom soup!

Tuesday, November 09, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Mushroom Soup and Mushroom risotto - YES but also, mushroom lasagna if you have enough left over. Ina Garden has a recipe using Portobello mushrooms but I am sure it could be adapted to your stash. Anything that works with a mushroom/ cream gravy.

Chilebrown is shameless. You should give them to ME! hahahaha...

Tuesday, November 09, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

If you are going to use then in something like a stew, I'd rehydrate them in sherry or wine (and use the liquid in the dish).
I made a chicken, leek & mushroom pie a week or so back it was wonderful!

Tuesday, November 09, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, I brought these suckers back all the way from Cape Cod. I'm not sharing. Besides, you can get some for yourself at the sister store in SF.

Cookiecrumb, okay, two votes for soup, so far.

Nancy, three for soup - I'm seeing soup in my future. And you live right near the sister store, so go get some!

Ms Mouse, I used some of them last night and rehydrated them in the wine I used in the dish. Thanks for the tip!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home