Friday, October 22, 2010

Waffling

My Beloved and I love waffles. We have eaten them at restaurants as varied as the Brown Sugar Kitchen in Oakland and the Fremont Diner in Sonoma. We have made our own at home on long, lazy Sunday mornings, complete with real maple syrup, lashings of butter and the Sunday funnies. Occasionally, we even have them for dinner.

I wanted to replicate the crisp, light, cornmeal waffles they serve at the BSK so when I found a recipe online for cornmeal waffles with bacon bits, I knew we had dinner waffles in our future.

I hauled out my fastest waffle baker, an ancient appliance that can keep up with a boatload of hungry waffle lovers. I got it from The Fixer's Offerings and have loved it ever since. The electrical plug is a scary little relic and the metal switches get searingly hot during baking, but it makes a mean waffle really fast and it never sticks.

We had leftover already-crisped bacon (I know, I know - leftover bacon??? Who ever heard of such a thing?) in the fridge, so the batter went together in a snap. Ladled into the waffle iron, it emitted a fragrant steam of promise. Sadly, the resulting waffles were not light and not crisp and not anything like the ones at BSK. I didn't quite have enough bacon and the kind I had wasn't salty enough or smoky enough to give the result my mind had imagined. The corn flavor was evident, as was the rich buttermilk, so we really did enjoy the waffles but, as a copy of the BSK ones, they were a flop.

If you like buttery waffles with lots of corn and buttermilk flavor, however, we can recommend these. And, continuing to research cornmeal waffle recipes isn't exactly a hardship, is it? The journey begins here.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I love waffles!

Friday, October 22, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, October 22, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

We don't really get proper waffles here, or I've not found them. A friend's norwegian husband used to make them for us tho, wonderful things :)

Friday, October 22, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I've been removed, so I'm stampeding back!
Zoomie, the savory waffle sounds divine. I'd pour gravy on it. Sorry yours was soggy.

Friday, October 22, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, I think people who don't like waffles are suspect, don't you?

Ms. Mouse, if you ever get to Belgium, you'll try the Gold Standard of waffles, in my view. But, we do pretty well here, too.

Cookiecrumb, not soggy, exactly, just soft rather than crisp. Interesting idea of using it as the foundation for a non-sweet meal. I'll have to put on my thinking cap. And thanks for stampeding back - and understanding!

Friday, October 22, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home