Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Household Hint

I feel like Martha Stewart. My Hallowe'en candles, wonderful orange ones with embedded sparkles that fit into my black spider candleholders, went ballistic the other night at dinner and dripped wax all over the table.

I remembered a household hint that I read about - Heloïse? Peg Bracken? Maybe Martha? - in any case, you put ice on wax and when it's really cold, it lifts right off the wood. It also works to put smaller stuff, like the candleholders themselves, in the freezer for an hour or so. Works like a champ.

Just thought you'd like to know, since Hallowe'en is approaching and now that it gets dark by dinner time, I'm back to using candles on the table.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I DO remember this. The lessons that I learned as a young girl, training to be a housewife. IS that sad or what?

Tuesday, October 12, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, not sad, useful! You don't have to be a housewife to have these occasional "ooopses." :-) Guys need to know this stuff, too.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Wow, using Halloween candles already! That's so festive. I'm still thinking about what I should wear...

Tuesday, October 12, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, something involving one of your ukuleles?

Wednesday, October 13, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

A ukulele wouldn't cover much. I suppose I could wear all of them at once.
;)

Wednesday, October 13, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, you'd really only need three, strategically placed.

Thursday, October 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home