Friday, October 8, 2010

Mini Trend

I heartily applaud the trend toward mini. Mini cupcakes, smaller servings at our local wine bar and now mini pastries. Everywhere, I am seeing a trend toward smaller and smaller servings.

America has always been the land of maxi, super-size and huge platefuls of food. As a result, more and more of us, My Beloved and I included, are becoming more and more maxi each year. Yeah, yeah, we should control our baser impulses and no one forces us to eat too much - we get that. But it certainly helps when thoughtful chefs offer a mini option.

Take these mini pastries, for example, that we found in Tiburon last Sunday after making the nearly three-mile walk around Belvedere with pal Sari to enjoy the views and the glimpses of how the other half lives. It's a lovely walk - the scenery is gorgeous, the tramp is just taxing enough to make us feel virtuous and we met a happy, friendly yellow lab along the way - what could be better?

Well, a cup of good coffee and a sweet bite makes everything better. So, after the walk we stopped in at Bistro 35 to enjoy their outdoor deck with a view of the marina and the city beyond. I spied these mini treats in the case and opted for a taste of each rather than one large serving of either.

Yes, I do realize that, even with sharing bites with my co-walkers, I managed to maxi the mini offerings. Nevertheless, I loved the variety of tastes (they were all tasty but the mocha eclair was the winner) and the opportunity to be good to myself, even if I didn't take it.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I have not been to Tiburon in ages. It looks sweet.

Friday, October 08, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

You make me laugh! Ha ha.
Nice.

Friday, October 08, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

We too, could do with a few more mini-servings :)

Friday, October 08, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, go on over - it's terrific this time of year and the walk is free if the pastries aren't.

Cookiecrumb, glad you got a chuckle.

Ms. Mouse, nonsense - you forget we've met you and you both looks ab fab. Pat the kitties for me.

Saturday, October 09, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home