Monday, September 20, 2010

Mix 'n' Match

You were expecting chili, weren't you? Frankly, so was I.

I had made a big pot of chili, cooking it low and slow in my crock pot for two days straight, attracting all the neighborhood dogs with the wonderful smells wafting out my front door. Just when it was ready to serve, My Beloved called from the road to suggest I put it on hold, as he was bringing home dinner.

I have learned over years with him that it's best to go with the flow. Man, was I ever rewarded for my flexibility this time! He brought naked lobster rolls from the Old Port Lobster Shack. Be still my heart!

The reason they are called "naked" is that there is no dressing on the lobster - it's just fresh cold chunks of lobster overstuffed in all its deliciosity into the rolls. They do provide some drawn butter to pour over, just in case you need a little added richness, but it is not at all necessary.

We reheated the rolls, which were already toasted on their grill, in a warm oven and I made a green salad to go alongside, then served up their crinkled chips and creamy cole slaw with the brimming buns. A sort of mix 'n' match of Old Port's efforts and my own.

Needless to say, the chili will keep.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I think that after I'd eaten that, I could die on the spot and be transported to Paradise. Your beloved is SO right - good lobster don't need no fancy fixings!

Monday, September 20, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, it was truly heavenly. He's a good guy, isn't he?

Tuesday, September 21, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Bliss in a bun :)

Tuesday, September 21, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Ms Mouse, oh, baby!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home