Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Harvest

Here they are, the sum total of our potato harvest this year.

Russets, grown from cutting an organic parent potato in four and burying the pieces. The largest of them is perhaps the size of a hen's egg, the smallest remind me of the marbles I used to shoot as a child, only brown and not shiny. I'm looking forward to tasting them; I just can't decide how best to cook them for the greatest appreciation of their flavor.

I found one tiny one had already grown a root. I put him back into the pot and I'm hoping he'll be the father of a future crop. I also replanted the tops of the potato vines I took these from and I hope they'll survive - they had some serious roots, so I have hope.

Anyway, thought you'd like to see what a single eyed potato can turn into. Thrilling.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger meathenge said...

You're going to be pulling those out of your yard every year for the rest of your life. You just watch.

xo, Biggles

Tuesday, October 05, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Well done. It's so crazy, stealing free food out of the ground.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

we only did a little better and we planted heaps! But then, found we kept digging up more for months and months after the harvest!

Wednesday, October 06, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Rev, a daring prediction in my case. I am fickle with vegetables.

Cookiecrumb, such a miracle from unassuming parents.

Ms Mouse, maybe I'll go through the bed again - there may be more down there!

Wednesday, October 06, 2010  
Blogger Greg said...

Wow! Nice crop.

Friday, October 08, 2010  
Blogger meathenge said...

I planted some once about ten years ago and am still pulling them out of the ground ten years later with no care to their needs.

xo, Biggles

Friday, October 08, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, amazing to me that Ma Nature does such a good job with nothing but water, sunshine and chicken poop.

Rev. Biggles, no kidding? You must have forgotten a few little ones that sprouted again. I deliberately left a couple of "babies", hoping they would become tomorrow's harvest.

Friday, October 08, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home