Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Stubbornly Salad

I may set the table for fall but I'm not ready. Not ready for cooler fall weather because we haven't had enough warm days yet this summer to make me wish for them. Not ready for short days, even though it means I can use candles on the dinner table again. Not ready for raincoats and rubber shoes and drying off the dog after every walk. I'm just not ready.

So, I'm still making salads. The tomatoes are still wonderfully red and ripe. There may be broccoli and cauliflower in the mix, but there is lettuce, too, and scallions and a little teriyaki chicken - doesn't that say summer barbecue to you?

I'm hoping for Indian summer, so I'm staying stubbornly salad.

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I too would love to have summer last a little longer. I made my first hot soup yesterday but also made a salsa from some really ripe tasty tomatoes.Enjoying the bounty.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Me, too, babe. Not ready.
However, salad greens love cool weather, so it'll be salad season all winter, hold the tomatoes. (Speaking of which, we just harvested the entire crop, ripe or not. Sigh.)

Tuesday, October 19, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, maybe our collective wishing will make a difference.

Cookiecrumb, my neighbor (who gives away her excess produce and just happens to me on my morning route with Cora) is still giving up good tomatoes, as well as winter squashes. Easing into fall.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home