Saturday, October 16, 2010

Apple Picking

The two young girls down the street, the ones who went on a hobo picnic with their Dad not long ago, have an apple tree in the front yard. I approached their Mom one year about picking her apples for her and we've been friends ever since. Cora and I visit their dog each day and sometimes take her with us on our walks. The girls have gone from shyly silent to calling me by my first name and waving when they see me. So, when their huge apple crop threatened to overwhelm them this year, they invited me over for apple picking.

The girls are amazing. The older girl was up the tree in a trice, picking apples and dropping them into our waiting baskets. The younger girl got halfway up the tree and contributed a few of her own - she's game, but she's small yet. Then I got out my picker and we snagged a few more from the upper branches. Of course, we missed some that dropped onto the grass in a small bombardment - the ones that weren't badly bruised went into the baskets, too.

So, here's my lunch the next day - sweet apple and tangy cheddar cheese slices to remind me of the fun of apple picking with my neighbors. I'm thinking of making apple tarts and inviting them over for a tea party.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

A work of edible art.

Saturday, October 16, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Like apple pie a la mode, hold the crust and sugar. Very good. (A "dessert" you ate for lunch.)

Saturday, October 16, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, thanks. I rather liked the shot myself.

Cookiecrumb, interesting twist. Do you put cheddar cheese on your apple pie? I know lots of people enjoy that.

Sunday, October 17, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

You know I don't eat apple pie! Heh.
BTW, I didn't mean a la mode, which means with ice cream. Is there a term for pie with cheese, because that's what I'm talking about.

Sunday, October 17, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

I googled it and found some recipes where you actually put the cheese *in* the pie or make a cheese crust for the pie - eek. You'd eat my apple pie and you'd love it. Not too sweet. But I promise not to impose it upon you.

Sunday, October 17, 2010  
Anonymous jumelager said...

The cheddar looks wonderful. What kind is it? I love cheddar in any form, year or color...grin.

Thursday, October 28, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home