Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Goat Rope Salad

In the Navy we have a strange saying. When something is really a mess, all discombooberated, we call it a goat rope. That's the way this salad started out.

My S-I-L Ann, she who cooks like an angel, had recommended to me a beet salad that sounded really good. She even sent me the recipe which, apparently, I didn't read carefully. So, I went to the store, collected what I imagined were the ingredients and brought them home only to re-read the recipe and find that most of what I brought home was not in her recipe. A goat rope.

So, I improvised, while resolving to make her salad another day. This salad had three colors of the lovely last heirloom tomatoes of the season layered with some roasted beets and sprinkled with raspberries and crumbles of a marvelous, creamy, tangy French goat cheese called Chevre de Bellay. Topped with rocket and drizzled with a balsamic vinaigrette, it was the best salad I've made all summer.

The colors were perfect, of summer shading into fall, and the flavors of sweet tomatoes and fruit married with tangy goat and balsamic and a little rocket bite were love songs to the tongue. Goat rope or no goat rope, this was one terrific salad.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

It looks like one fine mess to me.I bet it tastes as good as it looks.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Just stunning.

BTW, I never heard the term "goat rope."

Wednesday, October 13, 2010  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

It's visually stunning and sounds utterly yummy. I'm a Navy brat and I never heard of the expression either but it's a good one to remember for when things are mucked up.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, reminds me of that old Laurel and Hardy line, "Here's another fine mess you've got me in!"

Cookiecrumb, I hadn't either until I started hanging around submariners - maybe it's a submariner's saying?

Nancy, see my comment to Cookiecrumb above. Must be something unique to the "beady-eyed killers of the deep," as they are proud to call themselves.

Thursday, October 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home