Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Fixer's Offering

When I lived in Hilton, New York each year we had a spring and a fall Bulky Pickup Day. Because you never knew exactly which day the truck would come around, everyone would put out at the curb for weeks ahead any items they no longer wanted, anything from old appliances to broken furniture to just plain junk.

Those of us with a fascination for other people's stuff would cruise slowly past these piles and sometimes stop to snatch off the pile an item we simply couldn't believe they would throw away. I have a dainty little chair, for example, that I rescued one year and reupholstered. One person's junk is clearly another one's treasure.

Anyway, back then there was also a handyman who cruised the Bulky Pickup piles and reclaimed broken appliances, refurbishing them and selling them in his little store, The Fixer's Offerings. This lovely little shop was the epitome of the recycling ethic. Both my favorite waffle iron and this juicer came from The Fixer's Offerings, relics of an age where anything that could be electrified was.

I don't haul the juicer out for every juicing job - it's easy enough to squeeze the occasional lemon by hand - but when I have all these oranges and I'm having so much fun trying new ways to use them, the juicer has pride of place on my counter. It's noisy and quirky but it has a certain homely charm and I love that it continues to work uncomplainingly despite its venerable age. Whoever threw this one out jettisoned a treasure. Thank you, Mr. Fixer, wherever you are!

5 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

"relics of an age where anything that could be electrified was"...

Also, relics of an age where anything that could be FIXED was. I miss that.

Thursday, February 28, 2008  
Blogger meathenge said...

OH YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, we had those in Albany!

Lordy, I found the best stuff. Working 19" B&W televisions, wheels, games, records, tapes, furnitures, kitchen goodies & made myself a pretty great phonebook collection from those junk days. LOVED those days, love.

I recently bought an avacado colored, electric juicer kinda like what you bought, but more 1972.

Biggles

Thursday, February 28, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, me, too!

Biggles, wow, hit a live switch with you on this one! Glad it brought back fond scrounging memories for you, too!

Thursday, February 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have those pick-up days but we are told which day pick-up is and we get fined if we set stuff out any earlier than 3 days before! It's an excepted past time to sit at your living room window to see who comes by and what they pick up from your pile.

Friday, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Mrs. L, glad to hear that Bulky Pickup has made it to the Left Coast, too! I'll have to come down and cruise San Jose, if you'll let me know which day the pickup is! :-)

Saturday, March 01, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home