Wednesday, February 27, 2008

It's Even Better With Orange

Because I made so much roasted squash soup, I have to admit I was getting a little tired of it. However, having been raised by a woman who grew up in the Great Depression, I try not to waste much.

Harboring a nice big bucket still full of oranges from Cranky and Cookiecrumb, I decided to try adding the zest and the juice of an orange to my pot of soup. Big improvement! The zest made it more tart while the juice made it more sweet - an interesting give-and-take for the tongue!

I'm finding that many foods are better with a touch of orange!

5 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Are you trying to say that oranges are the new bacon?

Tuesday, February 26, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Aw, nuts, I haven't done orange soup yet. Good one, Zoomie.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, gosh, no! Is there really _anything_ that can replace bacon? But these oranges certainly are fun!

Cookiecrumb, let me know if you need some squash to try it - I'm still up to my eyebrows in delicious, healthful squash! :-)

Wednesday, February 27, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Great tip! I'll have to remember for next season...or, even better, try it with some of the pumpkin still in the freezer!

Friday, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Katie, glad to know the squash freezes! I'll pop the rest of mine in as we are getting a little tired of it after 8 pounds of the stuff!

Saturday, March 01, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home